Re: Re: URI note snapshot available

* Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu> [2008-04-28 21:05+0100]
> Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>> "A user who places the identifier in the location bar of a web browser
>> should get back useful information about the identified concept or
>> object."
>>
>> Why?  It seems an awfully steep barrier-to-entry to have *all* URI's
>> resolve to a web page as well as to whatever the URI actually
>> represents, especially when my agent can't read...
> Well, first, if a URI is not resolved something, the purpose of using
> web is lost.

I'd argue that a little less strongly, but yes, you miss a great
opportunity if you don't get to use the resource for
  resource documentation
  resource discovery (is there an identifier for X?)
  collision detection

This barrier seems small on the scale of scientific publications,
consensus building, or even advertising your identifiers so that
others are motivated to use them. Pehaps I don't understand the
barriers in your use-case, though. Do you have a fleet of identifiers
that you would like the rest of the world to re-use, but that are
difficult to back with HTTP URLs?

I (and a growing army of linked data zealots) believe that detectably
sound identifiers are well worth the cost of a web page. Note, I've
never been a linked data zealot myself, which I think makes me more of
a zealot 'cause I always thought it was obvious good practice.

--
-eric

office: +1.617.258.5741 32-G528, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02144 USA
mobile: +1.617.599.3509

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.