Re: adding pubmed ids to BAMS

Appreciate all of your debates and discussions recently- it's helped me and
no doubt others think things through a bit. Suspect many of us are not
chiming in to keep noise level down with rare tidbit of value to add- for
example in my case we are still primarily on the drawing board in part until
some of these issues can be resolved, at least internally.

For internal efforts we are leaning towards prefixed numerical identifiers
simply because it substantially increases the options for future
differentiation and value, and is (in my mind for now at least) easier to
amend, which is of course necessary for survival for most tool makers and
their customers. The nuanced definitions between cultures, whether
corp/academic/gov/regional/industry etc. are in part what prevents sameness
of thought and encourages creativity and innovation. I am however also
constantly mindful of the economics relating to adoption, and therefore
attempt to reduce the need for costly maintenance.

My rudimentary understanding of ontological languages in current form that
evolved from the xml promise is appealing- OWL full for example, but my
instincts suggest (for now at least) that we'll need to rely heavily on
assistance from the purity of numbers in the translations and descriptions,
which has often been the case.

I can see the potential for harm in attempting to zoom in too far on
granularity in standardization efforts (understanding the appeal) and would
therefore vote for prudent equilibrium between adaptability and fixed. A bit
messier perhaps to purposely engineer on the side of caution, but so too are
most institutions that experience wide adoption coming to my mind. .02- MM