RE: [BIONT] Teleconference on Tuesday, 5th September 2006

Hi, Vipul

Thanks for putting a head start on this task.

I have one observation on expressing ontology in UML notation.

As we know that UML and ontology language in semantic web (RDF and OWL)
are based on very different theory, although the hierarchical structures
of OWL classes and UML classes do look like the same from the first
glance.   But they are really different concepts.  Expressing your
ontology in UML notation, even just for visualization purpose, is quite
misleading.

Maybe, as a best practice in this group, we should try to use RDF/OWL and
find some visualization tools for display?  We could even use visio to
draw some graphs to express design ideas of the ontology to be developed,
yet better avoid using direct UML notation.

My two cents.

Kind regards.

Helen

"Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>
Sent by: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
09/05/2006 10:03 AM

"William Bug" <William.Bug@DrexelMed.edu>
cc
<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Subject
RE: [BIONT] Teleconference on Tuesday, 5th September 2006

For the time being, I have uploaded the JPEG and GIF versions of the
Ontology in UML.

---Vipul