Re: Task proposal: Distributed self-publishing of experiments

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 13:48 -0400, Tim Clark wrote:

> I would also claim that data is *not useful* unless linked to and
> explicated by a publication by those who derived it.  You know:
> "Hypothesis", "Materials and Methods", "Interpretation", etc. all the
> stuff you find in peer-reviewed papers (not to mention "References")!!

Personally, I agree with this.  I wasn't endorsing AJ's proposal, just
imploring him not to undertake a project that involved building Yet
Another Idiosyncratic Ontology  (pronounced YAIO!).

Although this is a bit off topic, now that there are well established
community processes for vetting ontologies in bioinformatics (see
http://bioontology.org), I think that anyone proposing YAIO without
using that process is being destructive of a fragile but promising turn
of events in our field.

Larry