Re: [rdf] Re: proposal for standard NCBI database URI

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 10:12 -0700, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Are there limits on the number of retrievals that can be done in a day
> on these URLs?  i.e. will my domain get blacklisted if I pull in 100K
> records every hour?

Yes. Here are the rules:

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html#UserSystemRequirements

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 13:20 -0400, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:

> These kinds of URIs are more used as API.  It will be difficult to use
> them in the context of SW to identify resources.  For instance, will
> these two URIs identify the same resources?
>
> http://...?email=foo@bar.com
>
> and
>
> http://...?email=bar@foo.com
>
> It should but the semantics of URI doesn't not say so.

Like I said, there are some drawbacks to what NCBI has published, but
the eutils_help.html web page is fairly clear.   The 'email' and 'tool'
arguments do not effect the retrieval, but are there to help NCBI either
(a) notice which programs are generating Entrez queries to help them do
query optimization, or (b) for them to contact you if there are problems
or they are changing interfaces that might effect your requests.

Larry