Re: [rdf] Re: URIs

I think this is an excellent reference to work from, when dealing
with the issue of URIs in RDF generation & processing.

As I have always seen it (this is admittedly a the view of an RDF
naif), DOIs and LSIDs both seek to fulfill the role one would expect
to be played by URIs in the STM literature and biomedical object
domains, respectively.

For those who had the chance to read the paper, I would specifically
point to the discussion of the CrossRef & OpenURL projects.  Both
relate to how you resolve a DOI tied to very practical Use Cases.
One is very much focussed on the commercial issue of dis-ambiguating
which journals a given library system has a subscription to.  The
goal for this (OpenURL - http://www.exlibrisgroup.com/
sfx_openurl.htm) was to create an infrastructure for publishers (and
aggregators) to resolve this issue in a way that is transparent for
the user as they click on a link to an article (HTML or PDF).  The
SFX system many may be familiar with seeing in the search engines
hosted by their library systems.

CrossRef (http://www.crossref.org/) is more designed to address the
core issue on the article of how you both maintain stable pointers to
inherently unstable online resources, and also providing a URI-like
generic resource pointer which can be resolved to the actual resource
the moment a reader clicks on the reference in a bibliography.
CrossRef is much more focussed on dealing with the many different
scenarios related to the latter task and coming up with a way that -
again - from the user's point transparently gets them to the correct
resource.  CrossRef the organization seems to pitch themselves as the
service designed to de-reference DOIs - which obviously makes the
work they've done very relevant to this conversation.

Clearly, both of these issues are ones the folks from BMC & PLoS can
give us some very practical insight into.

The one major project related to the topic in the article that the
author seemed to neglect is the Internet Archive (http://
archive.org).  This is a long standing project (in Internet time,
anyway - going back to 1996).  They trawl the entire public net and
backup it up as often as possible.  They have massive, robotics-based
tape drive systems working round the clock.  The original archive
took almost a year to crawl the entire "public" net (it still takes
about 2 months to cover everything, though there is a lot of effort
they've put into to categorizing the rate at which contents changes -
with content having a more rapid turnover getting more frequent
observation).  After the end of the 1996 presidential campaign -
within weeks, the only source for historians to analyze use of the
web in the election was the Internet Archive.  This has continued to
be the case for many research projects focussed on the use or and
evolution of web content.  The IA has set up to donate periodic dumps
to the Library of Congress.  They're technology has greatly improved
over the years (they now have PetaByte storage racks and much a much
more mature software layer).  Though IA doesn't solve the issue of
the "hidden"/dynamic web all that much better than the other search
engines (which is the space in which most if not all scientific
literature lives), they clearly provide a great utility to difficult
to manage mess the HTML web often devolves into.  IA is also
intimately involved in the discussions in the library science
community on this issue of digital reference resolution and
archiving, as well as the critical issue of FIXING IP law - very much
aligned with the efforts of the Creative Commons.  Some CC folks are
also directly involved with IA.  IA has set up a specific group to
help researchers make better use of IA content (http://
www.archive.org/web/researcher/researcher.php).

Cheers,
Bill

On Jun 18, 2006, at 12:52 PM, John Madden wrote:

> Alan et al,
>
> Wow, great topic. I'll need to get my thoughts together on this.
>
> Meanwhile, operationally what a uri "means" is clearly related to
> the question of its (non)persistence. I recently found a wonderful
> historical review of this topic from the point of view of a library
> scientist. The group might enjoy it:
>
> 	http://www.aallnet.org/products/pub_llj_v97n04/2005-42.pdf
>
> John
>

> On Jun 18, 2006, at 1234, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>

>> [It was on this list: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
>> semweb-lifesci/2006Jun/0149]
>> -Alan'
>> On Jun 18, 2006, at 12:20 PM, John Madden wrote:
>>

>>> I can't locate the beginning of this thread. Did the discussion
>>> start on another list?
>>> Thanks.
>>> John

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.