Re: [rdf] Re: URIs

This is a very useful and important discussion thread, and I would like
to see others on the list to contribute their thoughts/concerns as
well.

May I ask all the contributors to include HTML links to any acronyms
they reference (e.g., NAPTR)? This will make it easier for the rest of
us to catch up quickly, and to eventually collect the approaches out
there into a comprehensive list of viable implementations.

thanks,
Eric

--- Sean Martin <sjmm@us.ibm.com> wrote:

 > MW> I believe this SRV-redirection behaviour is part
 > of the LSID spec, and
 > MW> we use it for all of the BioMOBY LSIDs...
 > MW>
 >
 > It also uses NAPTR's as described in IETF RFC's
 > 3401->3405 to traverse the
 > URN namespace, allowing the dereferencing process to
 > bridge the gap that
 > separates authority name strings from service
 > locations. From what I
 > recall, the URN specs specifically do not permit
 > names and locations to be
 > confounded.
 >
 > Kindest regards, Sean
 >
 > --
 > Sean Martin
 > IBM Corp.
 >
 > public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org wrote on
 > 06/16/2006 12:59:12 PM:
 >

 > > On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 10:41 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg
 > wrote:
 > >
 > > > something, but as far as I can see, the only
 > authority related to
 > > > namespaces in URLs is the DNS, and while there
 > is the SRV field which
 > > > might be used to direct someone to information
 > about the namespace, I
 > > > don't know whether anyone does.
 > >

 > > I believe this SRV-redirection behaviour is part
 > of the LSID spec, and
 > > we use it for all of the BioMOBY LSIDs...

 > > --
 > >
 > > --
 > > Mark Wilkinson
 > > Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
 > > University of British Columbia
 > > PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
 > > St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
 > > Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
 > > tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
 > > fax: 604 806 9274
 > >
 > > "For most of this century we have viewed
 > communications as a conduit,
 > >        a pipe between physical locations on the
 > planet.
 > > What's happened now is that the conduit has become
 > so big and
 > interesting
 > >       that communication has become more than a
 > conduit,
 > >        it has become a destination in its own
 > right..."
 > >
 > >                 Paul Saffo - Director, Institute
 > for the Future

Eric Neumann, PhD
co-chair, W3C Healthcare and Life Sciences,
and Senior Director Product Strategy
Teranode Corporation
83 South King Street, Suite 800
Seattle, WA 98104