Re: scientific publishing task force update

Yes - please do post your references, John.  They are very relevant
to this discussion, and I would certainly profit from getting the
chance to peruse them.

Being in Oak Ridge, have you overlapped at all with the various
bioinformatics groups at ORNL?  One in particular who would be very
much interested in some of the issues you mention below would be
Elissa Chesler (http://www.utmem.edu/neuroscience/faculty/
E_Chesler.php).  Elissa is a geneticist and biostatistician who has
done seminal work in constructing gene networks from mouse genetic
variability data (QTL studies) with a focus on how the variability in
such networks relate to nervous system molecular, meso-structural,
and functional variability.  Elissa is one of the PIs on the newly
established,  multi-lab, collaborative-cross project which I believe
is based out of ORNL.  (please correct me on any of these statements,
Elissa, if I'm off on some of the details).

Though not directly involved in semantic web technologies per se, she
is very much aligned with the overall goal of building out biomedical
KR from the data on up, and as a mathematician at heart, I'm certain
she'd be interested in hearing more about what you mention in this post.

Plus - I assume - she's right across town from you.  :-)

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty to cc her on this
post.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jun 9, 2006, at 1:05 PM, John Rumble wrote:

> There has been some important work done on this subject over the
> last 20 years. A. Shoshoni, F. Olken and others wrote some very
> insightful papers about differentiating between different types of
> independent variables in an experiment. I have given several talks
> in recent years about the problem of evolving scientific knowledge
> and changing scientific language and how that impacts capturing a
> description of an experiment. I especially  have focused on how new
> knowledge about independent variables is inevitable and how that
> affects ontology development and data integration efforts. I can
> send these along to whomever is interested.
>
> John
>
> Dr. John Rumble
> Technical Director
> Information International Associates
> Oak Ridge TN
> www.infointl.com
> jrumble@iiaweb.com
> jumbleusa@earthlink.net
> 301 963 7903 (Home Office)
> 301 502 5729 (Cell)
> 865 298 1251 (Oak Ridge Office)

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompany attachments are confidential. This information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.