RE: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

> 1) Accessible URIs for UMLS terms would make it possible (easier..)
> for any one to annotate their data through reference to this
> expertly
> curated common vocabulary.  This makes it much more likely that
> people would actually do so - thus enabling serendipitous/automatic
> data integration down the road.

LSIDs provide this without the need of translating to an imperfect OWL.
Even if there is no true LSID resolver service for UMLS terms, one can
decompose the LSID and use the varying existing URI to access directly
the information on UMLS terms.

> 2) Even without using the semantics of the relationships, the simple
> fact that certain concepts are somehow associated with each other is
> excellent fodder for computation and exploration.

Yes, I agree.  This might be the most compelling reason.  But how much
can ontology reasoning tools use the specialized relationships in the
OWL representation to draw inferences?  If it is purely statistical on
the standard OWL relationships, many additional linkages will be missed
and even those that are found, the significance will only be apparent by
going back to the source.

> 3) By providing RDF, it would be possible to automatically merge RDF
> generated in other projects with the UMLS.

True, and I agree the statistical possibilities of integration expands.

My main point is what role has these specialized relationships for UMLS
OWL added in the above scenarios?  Why not stick with straight OWL
representation and do any further analysis from the UMLS source?  My
complaint is that the expansion of the OWL representations to have these
special case relationships obscures the benefits of OWL.

cheers,
Michael