Re: Semantic content negotiation (was Re: expectations of vocabulary)

Thanks Danny for helping these threads find each other.

I had a long conversation with Sean B. Palmer on the topic on #swig,
of which I highlighted some elements here

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2006Jul/0066.html

------

Is it really "Semantic" content neg that we want? That is only part
of the problem.
Imagine I only understand the atomOwl vocab [1] and I expect this

<> a :CategoryList;
    :category [ :scheme <http://eg.com/cats/>;
                :term "dog" ];
    :category [ :scheme <http://eg.com/cats/>;
                :term "house" ].

but I receive this

<> a :McDonaldCategoryList;
    :McCategory [ :McScheme <http://eg.com/cats/>;
                :McTerm "dog" ];
    :McCategory [ :McScheme <http://eg.com/cats/>;
                :McTerm "house" ].

Where  in fact

  	:McDonaldCategoryList owl:sameAs :CategoryList .
         :McCategory owl:sameAs :category .
         :McScheme owl:sameAs :scheme .
         :McTerm owl:sameAs :term .

In  that case both documents are in fact semantically identical.

So what one wants is either

  - a way to specify the *vocabulary* the client understands, and
have the sender  send back content only in that vocabulary, or at
least add some mappings from its vocab to the one understood by the
client.
  - or way to specify in detail the relations that will appear in a
document and the vocabulary used to describe those relations, so that
by stating that a resource is say a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument, one
not only knows what types of relations one will find in there, but
also that one will be able to interpret them.

	Henry

[1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2006-06-06/