Re: [sdw] Change prefLabel of sosa:Sensor to 'Observer' (#1177)

From: Maxime Lefrançois via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 06:54:32 +0000
To: public-sdwig@w3.org
Dear all,

Long time no talk :-)

There is currently no such axiom in SOSA. In the philosophy of SOSA, if I got it right, subClassOf and subPropertyOf axioms were banned so as to facilitate the integration in schema.org.  There already is a super-class of `sosa:Sensor`, but it's in SSN: `ssn:System`.

Also, `sosa:Sensor`, even if the name refers to a subset of the conceptual space you mention, is perfectly suitable for non-electronic and mechanical devices such as humans.

I would preferably keep SOSA lightweight and simple, and update the definition of `sosa:Sensor` to explicitly state this concept is aligned with the "Observer" one in ISO 19156

--
GitHub Notification of comment by maximelefrancois86
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1177#issuecomment-850191445 using your GitHub account