W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdwig@w3.org > March 2019

Round up of activity and status for SDW-IG

From: Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 22:32:35 +0000
Message-ID: <CADtUq_2n-UwKAx3Tg=wHoBMq7xEz=e35j+_HKLFhp58Yc34CvA@mail.gmail.com>
To: "public-sdwig@w3.org" <public-sdwig@w3.org>
Hi folks. A little later than planned, but see below a round up of the work
we have on our books. You’ll see in a number of cases that there is no
clear progress on activities - it would really help if project leaders
could update their project summaries and activity boards so potential
helpers can see what needs to be done.

I noticed some updates from Simon while I was typing this evening. So there
may be some things a little out of sync with what’s below.

Hopefully the round up will help us focus on what needs to be done in March.

Best regards. Jeremy


*Outstanding Pull Requests* https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pulls :

1.      OWL-Time – Editorial changes in response to #1114 (errata)
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/1115 ... Currently undergoing review
(Simon, Francois)

2.      [SSN] Add erratum for bad IP68 Smart Sensor link (errata)
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/1112 … PR is approved (Simon), awaiting
merge (Francois)

3.      ISSUE-1103 Update references to SWEET in eo-qb document
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/1104 … still awaiting review from editors
of EO-QB doc



*W3C Profiles Ontology FPWD* (Nicholas Car, Rob Atkinson)

A reminder for you feedback. See here for details:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Jan/0000.html



*SAW 2019* (Maxime Lefrancois)

First call for international workshop on sensors and actuators on the Web
2019 (SAW 2019). Deadline for submission of papers is June 28th. See here
for more details:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Mar/0001.html



*OGC engagement w Web of Things folks* (George Percival)

George had a face to face meeting with WoT folks at the tail end of
January. See his email here:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Feb/0007.html

He cites the following list of topics that OGC might like to coordinate
with W3C:

- Add Location to the Thing Description (TD)

- Model “Observation” as an WOT “action”

- Datastream

- WoT binding template for SensorThings

- Compliance test



*Spatial Data on the Web best practices* (Michael Gordon)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/1

Hot topics identified in project summary are issues 1050
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1050 (creating a playbook to describe
implementing the best practices in a series of steps – not updated since
June 2018) and 1051https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1051 (implementation
report template – marked as “done”, but issue remains open … should this be
closed?)

Seems like the ‘hot topics’ list would benefit from an update.

On the project activity board 9 issues pending (“to do”) and 1 issue is in
progress.

Issues 1085 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1085 (BP 2 - Value and
approach for indexing individual spatial things) and 1086
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1086 (BP14 – Approach to describing
positional accuracy) are marked as “help wanted”.

None of these issues have been updated since October 2018; some earlier
still. The “in progress” issue #991https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/991 (Get
feedback on spatial data BP from OGC Members at next TC) hasn’t been
updated since January 2018.

The most recent update to the <code> (gh-pages branch) is from 2-months ago
– the North-Rhine Westphalia implementation report submitted by Clemens.

Can we get a revised plan for this item?



*Statistical data on the Web* (Bill Roberts)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/2

No topics or issues are identified in the project summary page as needing
help from the SDW-IG community.

On the project activity board 1 issue is pending and 2 are in progress.

Pending (to do): 1052 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1052 (prepare notes
on each DWBP in the context of stats) – not updated since July 2018.

Also pending are liaison activities with UN GGIM and the [forming] OGC
Statistics DWG.

In progress: 980 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/980(use case - parameter
qualifiers) and 981https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/981 (use case -
temporal constructs) … neither of these have had meaningful update since
2017.

<code> (gh-pages branch) has not been updated since August 2018.

Can we get a revised plan for this work item?



*SSN/SOSA ontology amendments* (Simon Cox)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/3

The project summary page identifies issues 1006
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1006 (Add SSN hasProperty to SOSA
namespace) and 1022https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1022 (Inverse property
for ssn:hasSubSystem) as open issues. Issue 1022 is marked as closed – the
project summary page should be updated.

On the project activity board, there are no pending issues and only a
single issue in progress: issue 1006https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1006 (Add
SSN hasProperty to SOSA namespace). During TPAC 2018, the IG voted to add
‘hasProperty’ to the SOSA namespace
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1006#issuecomment-432134675 – pending
agreement from all SSN/SOSA editors. @kjano objected in this post:
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1006#issuecomment-432421956. Simon asked
for clarification in November 2018 and is still awaiting response from
@kjano.

Issue 1111 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1111 (Link error in IP68 Smart
Sensor example – relates to outstanding Pull Request 1112 which is approved
and awaiting merge) isn’t listed on the project activity cards. It should
be added.



*SSN Primer* (Armin Haller)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/4

There’s still no activity on this project.

Back in June 2018 at the Fort Collins F2F Armin said we have received
acceptance notification of our SSN paper in the SemWeb journal which could
form the basis of an SSN primer, but given the length of the paper he
wasn’t entirely sure if it's needed? Simon noted that the paper is not a
primer - it's an overview and a more digestable overview for those that
don't want to look at the REC.

Did we agree to close this project? If so, can we agree remove it from our
list of active projects?



*Time ontology amendments* (Chris Little, Simon Cox)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/5

The project summary states that there are no open issues [being actively
worked on].

On the project activity board there are no issues in progress and one
pending (to do): 1114https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1114 (OGC CRS WG
comments on OWL-Time). There has been plenty of discussion on the mailing
lists about this issue. Simon collated the discussion here:
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1114#issuecomment-462176890. Also there
is a an outstanding pull request relating to this issue which is currently
under review by Francois and Simon: 1115
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/1115 (OWL-Time – Editorial changes in
response to #1114).

See discussion during February on the mailing list here:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Feb/0006.html ,
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Feb/0011.html

Clearly there is work going on – this issue should be moved to “in
progress” and the project summary updated accordingly.

Responding to a question from Frans Knibbe, Simon noted that temporal
interval relations were added to the IANA link relations registry back in
December – see here:https://github.com/link-relations/registry/issues/4.



*Describing moving objects* (Krzysztof Janowicz)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/6

No issues are visible on the project activity board.

Back in January, Jano said that he was ready to push forward this activity,
adopting an approach similar to SOSA, namely break down the complexity of
some of the existing specs to find a common core that can make for a widely
used vocabulary/ontology.

Please can we have some details added to the project and have some kind of
outline plan?



*SSN Extensions* (SimonCox)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/7

The project summary page identifies three activities for which help is
needed. But – at TPAC 2018 the IG agreed to publish SSN Extensions as FPWD,
subject to the agreed editorial fixes. See minutes here:
https://www.w3.org/2018/10/23-sdw-minutes.html#x02.

Are these three activities really still the focus points for SSN
extensions? Does the project summary page need updating? Also, the project
summary could do with a link to the published Working Draft.

On the project activity board there is one issue pending and three in
progress.

Issues 1026 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1026(Alignment of
ObservationCollection to Datastream) and 1027
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1027 (worked examples using
hasUltimateFeatureOfInterest) are marked as “help wanted”. 1026 and 1027
haven’t been updated since April 2018. Are these still priority topics?

Given that the in progress issues haven’t been updated since _way_ before
the vote on FPWD, are these issues still live?

During February additional serialisations were added to the examples in
ssn-ext.



*WebVMT* (Rob Smith)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/8

On the project activity board there are 3 pending issues and 1 in progress.
Issue 1063 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1063 (WebVMT: Identify ideas
for OGC Test Bed involvement) is marked “help wanted”. There has been no
updates on this issue since December 2018.

Next steps identified in February were:

i. Complete the Javascript playback engine update to the latest Editor's
Draft http://w3c.github.io/sdw/proposals/geotagging/webvmt/

ii. Officially form the WebVMT Community Group
https://www.w3.org/community/webvmt-cg/

iii. Continue community outreach and identify more activities to promote
progress towards the standardisation track



*Geospatial Web Roadmap* (Linda vd Brink)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/9

The project summary identifies Issue 1065
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1065 (Group review of roadmap) as needing
input from the IG members.

On the project activity board, 1 issue is pending and 2 are in progress.

In progress issues include 1065 (see above) and 1079
https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1079 (Discuss list of non webby OGC
standards with OGC Architecture Board)

The OGC’s Web  API Guidelines are here:
https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Web-API-Guidelines

These guidelines are useful for the roadmap because they enable us to
objectively define which OGC standards we consider “Webby”.

See comments:

-        Clemens
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Feb/0015.html

-        Joseph
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Feb/0014.html

-        Rob Smith
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Feb/0012.html



*MapML* (Peter Rushforth)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/10

The MapML CG has been active through February, largely driven by activities
in OGC Testbeds. No specific request for assistance.

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2019Mar/0002.html



*CoverageJSON* (Mark Hedley)

Project page: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/11

There are currently no issues listed on the project activity board as this
is a new activity.

CoverageJSON was discussed during the closing plenary of the OGC Technical
Committee meeting in Singapore, February 2019. The TC offered broad support
for developing Coverage JSON as a formal OGC standard, with one option
being to pursue this activity within the scope of the Web Coverage Service
Standards Working Group (WCS SWG).



*CityJSON* (Hugo Ledoux)

CityJSON is being tracked in the W3C Strategy Funnel as ISSUE #114
https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/114.

Standardisation efforts for CityJSON are currently paused. See Hugo’s
presentation from TPAC here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwkt9qqbra1ty8w/2018-10-22-w3c-cityjson.key.pdf?dl=0

At TPAC, SDW IG resolved the following:

In principal, the Spatial Data on the Web IG strongly supports the need to
create a feedback loop between practical experience implementing a spec and
its design to create effective standards implemented by the wider
community. The SDW IG will work on a formal response on CityGML v3 raising
technical concerns to be sent to the tc-discuss OGC list.

What is the status? I’ve been out of the loop a bit, but don’t see anything
on the SDW-IG mailing list to this effect.



*New project proposals*

There are 3 pending project proposals:

1.      Issue 1095 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1095(OWL Space) -
proposed in November 2018

2.      Issue 1068 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1068(Dicing or
partitioning Ontology for RDF Data Cubes) – proposed in August 2018

3.      Issue 1067 https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1067(360 day calendar)
- proposed in August 2018

Please can you review the proposals and determine whether you would be able
to contribute effort.
Received on Wednesday, 6 March 2019 22:33:11 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:17:53 UTC