W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdwig@w3.org > January 2018

[Minutes] Stats on the Web call - 2018-01-24

From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:04:12 +0100
To: <public-sdwig@w3.org>
Message-ID: <152401d39901$ac106910$04313b30$@w3.org>
Hi all,

The minutes of last week's Stats on the Web Best Practices subgroup call are available at:
https://www.w3.org/2018/01/24-sdw-minutes.html

... and copied as raw text below.

Thanks,
Francois.

-----
Stats on the Web Best Practices subgroup call
24 January 2018

   [2]Agenda [3]IRC log

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Jan/0053.html
      [3] https://www.w3.org/2018/01/24-sdw-irc

Attendees

   Present
          AndreaPerego, billroberts, ChrisLittle, marqh, roba

   Regrets
          Francois Daoust, Michael Gordon

   Chair
          Bill

   Scribe
          roba

Contents

     * [4]Meeting Minutes
         1. [5]Use cases
         2. [6]F2F meeting in Amersfoort
     * [7]Summary of Action Items

Meeting Minutes

Use cases

   <billroberts> [8]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/
   stats-bp/draft-use-case-list.md

      [8] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/stats-bp/draft-use-case-list.md

   <billroberts> [9]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/
   public-sdwig/2018Jan/0048.html

      [9] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Jan/0048.html

   ChrisLittle_: +1 pointing out SDMX has been around with
   international statistical best practice - foundation for RDF-QB
   - other stuff never made it - need to understand scope and
   limitations

   billroberts: notes SDMX is difficult to read 250 page type
   doc...

   AndreaPerego: analysis was a quick and dirty job, statistical
   data not core business...
   … as a template to identify where we have BP already, where
   gaps
   … URIs not part of of SDMX - have internally scoped identifiers
   … need to provide guidance here
   … discussion about not being too RDF biased - how do we apply -
   e.g., what about CSV on Web? Can it play a role for making stat
   data webby?
   … BP work identifies number of possible options
   … some BP were about metadata and some about data
   … RDF-QB can be about both
   … SDMX metadata is often free text - although often it
   describes some information very accurately, and covering
   different aspects (e.g., data quality)

   <billroberts> (Yes I think that's accurate Rob)

   AndreaPerego: should at least address DWBP cllauses

   toba: SDMX has a lot of different things mixed in one standard,
   which is what makes it complex. RDF-QB pulled out the core
   model of it, without doing all the codelists
   ... which I think was the right thing to do. But leaves a gap
   in that the many codelists in SDMX are not a core part of
   RDF-QB , but they are not necessarily stably governed
   ... so there is a general challenge for these kind of BPs of
   how do we put up standard maintained vocabs that can be re-used
   ... When looking at QB4ST, i deliberately scoped it to metadata
   (not data) and considered it as a canonical version of a
   conceptual model. Could certainly have been in other syntaxes
   ...JSON-LD version of RDF-QB is quite straightforward
   .... We don't have to solve all problems: a reasonable scope
   would be metadata to describe whatever representation we have,
   using RDF-QB as core, and allowing RDF or JSON expression of it

   <ChrisLittle_> +1 to focus on metadata

   billroberts: agree we shoudl focus on web specific aspect

   ChrisLittle_: notes QB4ST perspective that the "big data cubes"
   arenot going to leave their existing implementation choices for
   data encoding and access mechanisms

   billroberts: DXWG needs folllowing

   <billroberts> [10]http://ggim.un.org/meetings/GGIM-committee/
   documents/GGIM6/
   Background-Paper-Proposal-for-a-global-statistical-geospatial-f
   ramework.pdf

     [10] http://ggim.un.org/meetings/GGIM-committee/documents/GGIM6/Background-Paper-Proposal-for-a-global-statistical-geospatial-framework.pdf

   <AndreaPerego> Just to say UNGGIM was also mentioned during the
   SDW BP call.

   roba:Data Exchange WG has just released first draft of
   requirements. Not had much feedback yet
   ...would be great to have some feedback from this group to DXWG
   (and not from Rob as he is an editor of it)
   ...so please everyone do send comments to DXWG on that
   requirements doc
   ...Description of profiles and negotiation of which one you get
   is something DXWG is looking at
   ...It's more than negotiating data format, but rather
   negotiating by profile - could be a useful angle for us
   ...DXWG won't define specific profiles - that would be down to
   other groups, eg SDWIG
   ...so we could try to come up with a profile for metadata for
   statistics in that framework

   <AndreaPerego> +1

   [11]https://www.w3.org/TR/dcat-ucr/ has details on how to
   comment in intro

     [11] https://www.w3.org/TR/dcat-ucr/

   josephabhayaratna: has a set of comments from ABS on this
   groups UC, yet to write up and submit

   marqh: helpful to have explicit examples

   billroberts: using RDF-QB in real world - can bring forward
   some examples

   marqh: sounds really helpful

   Action: bill roberts bring forwards RDF-QB examples from
   experience

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-380 - Roberts bring forwards rdf-qb
   examples from experience [on Bill Roberts - due 2018-01-31].

F2F meeting in Amersfoort

   <billroberts> [12]https://w3c.github.io/sdw/meetings/f2f-1.html

     [12] https://w3c.github.io/sdw/meetings/f2f-1.html

   -1 for F2F

   <ChrisLittle_> Chris planning to

   <AndreaPerego> Not sure I can make it... But try to join
   remotely.

   <josephabhayaratna> I won't be there

   roba: have some kind of plenary catchup that they could dial in
   to but not very productive to join a F2F meeting remotely

   roba: if possible, spend some time reviewing possible examples
   and identify the most useful to get principles across to
   audience

   <ChrisLittle_> +1 to >1/2 day

   roba: I've been working as an OGC staff member to bring the
   definition publication capability in-house from a skunkworks
   project that SImon Cox started
   ... so there should be a crude CMS able to publish and maintain
   registers of terms as linked data. Hence OGC will be able to
   publish vocabs on behalf of working groups and something we can
   take advantage of
   ...The process would be to approach the naming authority to ask
   for a namespace. Early days but should be possible
   ...eg for SDMX codelists say
   ...ISO TC211 might use this
   ...can include automatic entailment, eg of broader/narrower
   relations
   ...but main decisions are around governance and that will be
   done on a case to case basis

   <ChrisLittle_> bye

   <AndreaPerego> Bye!

   <billroberts> bye all, thanks

Summary of Action Items

    1. [13]bill roberts bring forwards RDF-QB examples from
       experience
Received on Monday, 29 January 2018 13:04:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 29 January 2018 13:04:29 UTC