Re: [Minutes] Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices subgroup call - 2018-01-17

Thanks Francois for the minutes of the call this week - just looking
through those, there were a couple of things I would have said if there:

- I have good contacts at the Open Data Institute in the UK - Swirrl is a
long-time member - and would be happy to follow up with them to raise
awareness and seek support for SDWBP.  Happy to discuss with Michael and
others what particular action we might be asking them for.

- the UK government linked data group has not been active for 2 or 3
years.  (I was a member of it when it was active). As Michael mentioned,
there is however active work on 'registers' in the UK, led by the
Government Digital Service.  See https://registers.cloudapps.digital/  That
does involve creating some maintained identifier sets for spatial things
(as well as some registers of things that are not spatial) though the
approach taken has been deliberately to keep the information about items in
the register very minimal, so I'm not aware of any register that includes
location, address, or geometry data.

I've spoken in various contexts to a range of uk govt folks about the SDWBP
and will certainly keep doing that!  I know that at least some people at
the Office for National Statistics and the Environment Agency are aware of
it and interested for example.

Cheers

Bill