RE: Updated agenda for Amersfoort F2F

Hi Linda and Jeremy,

Thank you for  your invitation to discuss MapML this morning (afternoon).

I apologize, some of my answers to questions weren’t very succinct and it probably would have helped had I been present in person.  Hopefully, that will be the case next face to face meeting (Ft. Collins, I believe).

I failed to respond to part two of Linda’s question, which was how does MapML deal with 3D.  The answer is that it doesn’t, except perhaps through hyperlinks.  Currently we have defined a pair of link relations “zoomin” and “zoomout”, which we can use to link the document to another level in the service.  I could see a similar link being used to hand the map off to a 3D tile service or some such advanced  concept.  Of course to be useful to the browser engine, it would have to be a defined (standard) media type with appropriate semantics, supported by the browser engine etc.   So we are a bit of a way from that at this point, I think: better to crawl before we walk and run.

Thank you for the offer to incubate MapML.  I would like to know more about the process – do you have a link for reference?  I would ideally like MapML to become a joint standard by the W3C and OGC members. In the mean time, the Maps for HTML Community Group is open to the public, so can we proceed there?  I would like MapML to be developed and used by all communities, including: geospatial / Web developers, HTML authors, browser developers and so on.  Thanks to W3C, in that group we have mailing lists and other web communications resources that we can use to debate not only MapML but the larger goal of Maps for HTML ☺, and from the questions this morning I believe there is a need for such continued discussion, in a forum dedicated to that topic!

Finally, we (NRCan) are engaging the OGC membership and community by sponsoring Testbed 14.  Any OGC member can sign up as an observer, which means effectively participate in the specific development activities through email etc, and I think the MapML related thread will be quite interesting this year.

Thanks again,
Peter

Peter Rushforth

Technology Advisor
Canada Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation / Earth Sciences Sector
Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
peter.rushforth@canada.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth@canada.ca> / Tel: 613-759-7915

Conseiller technique
Centre canadien de cartographie et d’observation de la Terre / Secteur des sciences de la Terre
Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
peter.rushforth@canada.ca<mailto:peter.rushforth@canada.ca> / Tél: 613-759-7915