W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdwig@w3.org > August 2018

Re: Retrospective review: August focus days

From: George Percivall <gpercivall@opengeospatial.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:15:29 -0400
To: Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com>, "public-sdwig@w3.org" <public-sdwig@w3.org>
Message-Id: <BC2ED8A1-F8FE-417A-A02D-E46A39D2E2D7@opengeospatial.org>
SDW IG folks,

> Note that the teleconference about the [OGC Tech-Trends] is scheduled for next week: 14-Aug.

My day/week runs a little later, so here is my update to prepare for telecon.
Gobe, Greg and I worked on method for commenting as the IG discussed in June.
Listed below is a draft agenda for the telecon.

George

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

OGC Tech Trends: "Spatial data on the web”

Aug 14 Tue, 11:00 AM EDT   
Global Time: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=SDW+IG+Tech+Trends+telecon&iso=20180814T11&p1=263&ah=1
GTM Logistics below - https://www4.gotomeeting.com/join/298545893

Draft Agenda
OGC Tech Trends process
Quick reminder of the process and current state overall
See attached figure - a better version for public page is being developed.
Tech Trends on GitHub including how to comment
Based on SDWIG discussion in Ft Collins we have revised the process for comments.
Each Trend has a link to an Issues page.  Public comments are invited as issues; moderation of issues will result in updates to Trends.
"Spatial data on the web” category of tech trends
Currently 6 issues listed in this category: https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/chapter-05.adoc <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/chapter-05.adoc>
For example: "Web Scale Programming" trend
Trend description: https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/OtherTrends/WebTrends.adoc <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/OtherTrends/WebTrends.adoc> 
Issue for Trend: https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/issues/33 <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/issues/33> 
Other topics as desired



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


1. Please join my meeting, Tue Aug 14th 11:00 AM EDT.

https://www4.gotomeeting.com/join/298545893 <https://www4.gotomeeting.com/join/298545893> <https://www4.gotomeeting.com/join/298545893 <https://www4.gotomeeting.com/join/298545893>>

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.

IE: +353 15 360 728
DE: +49 692 5736 7317
AU: +61 2 9087 3604
NL: +31 207 941 377
US: +1 (646) 749-3129
FI: +358 923 17 0568
BE: +32 28 93 7018
ES: +34 932 75 2004
NZ: +64 9 280 6302
CA: +1 (647) 497-9391
GB: +44 330 221 0088
AT: +43 7 2081 5427
FR: +33 170 950 594
NO: +47 21 93 37 51
SE: +46 775 757 474
DK: +45 43 31 47 82
CH: +41 225 4599 78
IT: +39 0 230 57 81 42
Access Code: 298-545-893  Audio PIN will be displayed upon joining the web session.




> On Aug 10, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Hello SDW IG folks …
> 
> The focus days for August are coming to an end. This email is a retrospective look at our progress.
> 
> And in an attempt to improve visibility of focus days, Linda and Jeremy have scheduled the next focus days for 3-7th September. This is the week before the OGC TC meeting in Stuttgart - we're hoping that these focus days will enable us to hit the ground running and take best advantage of the OGC TC meeting.
> 
> For reference, you can find the status of all the SDW IG activities (as of Monday 6-August) in the [email](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0010.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0010.html>) compiled by Linda and Jeremy earlier this week.
> 
> Also note that the teleconference about the [OGC Tech-Trends](https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/README.md <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/README.md>) is scheduled for next week: 14-Aug. See the email from George Percival [here](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Jul/0041.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Jul/0041.html>). George asks for review and comment on the [Spatial Data on the Web group of Trends](https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/chapter-05.adoc <https://github.com/opengeospatial/OGC-Technology-Trends/blob/master/chapter-05.adoc>); for each Trend there is a GitHub Issue link where you can make comments.
> 
> In terms of housekeeping, Francois made some updates to the homepage and Linda updated the [README](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/README.md <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/README.md>) and the [member welcome](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/memberwelcome.md <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/memberwelcome.md>).
> 
> Linda also created a new issue, [Issue #1069](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1069 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1069>) asking for IG feedback on whether implementation evidence is a NECESSARY part of the standards development process - even for conceptual model (aka. data models) and vocabularies. This stems from the discussion about CityJSON / CityGML. Please give your thoughts - we'd like to be able to present a SDW IG position on this at the Stuttgart OGC TC meeting in 2nd-week of September. 
> 
> Jeremy has reorganised the new Project proposals. We now have a new placeholder [Project for proposals](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/15 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/15>) - imaginatively called `Proposals`. Here you'll find [Issue #1067](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1067 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1067>) for "360-day calendar" and [Issue #1068](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1068 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1068>) for "Dicing or partitioning ontology for RDF Data Cube". 
> 
> Please review these proposals; before we promote them to IG activities, we need sufficient support from the IG members. "Dicing or partitioning ontology for RDF Data Cube" already has some discussion; nothing yet for  "360-day calendar".
> 
> A look ahead to the coming meetings:
> 
> [OGC TC, Stuttgart](http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1809tc <http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1809tc>) (September)
> ==========================================================
> * Thanks to Clemens for pointing the IG at the joint OWS Common / Architecture DWG sessions.
> * Linda will present in the closing plenary on behalf of the SDW IG describing what we're doing, our scope/mandate etc. - particularly how we SUPPORT the existing standards process rather than circumvent it. Linda, Jeremy and Scott are developing slides for the presentation.
> * Linda has organised a slot for WebVMT in the Defence and Intelligence DWG.  
> 
> [W3C TPAC, Lyon](https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/ <https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/>) (October) 
> ================================================
> * WebVMT and MapML are keen to run breakout sessions. Linda and Jeremy will set up a conference call with Rob and Peter, plus Francois, to discuss the approach, stakeholders and intended outcomes.
> * CRS negotiation / Profile negotiation (stimulated from a discussion about MapML) is a shared concern with the Data Exchange Working Group (DXWG); we'll make sure to catch up at TPAC to discuss this further.
> * We will also aim to catch up with the Linked Building Data Community Group - in particular to share info on 3D geometry serialisations (3D-tiles) - Josh: any update here?
> * Opportunity to canvas wider support for the Statistical data on the Web activity
> * Opportunity to look at accessibility concerns for Web-mapping
> 
> Project updates:
> ++++++++++++++
> 
> [SSN/SOSA ontology amendments](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/3 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/3>)
> ===============================================================
> We had a new bug raised: [Issue #1062](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1062 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1062>). Armin responded to this. His [Pull Request #1072](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1072 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1072>)  awaits review.
> 
> [Geospatial Web Roadmap](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/9 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/9>)
> ========================================================
> Linda has progressed further with the roadmap; with the [first version](https://w3c.github.io/web-roadmaps/sdw/ <https://w3c.github.io/web-roadmaps/sdw/>) published for review with help from Francois. Linda invites feedback via [Issue #1065](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1065 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1065>). Thank you to Scott for getting the ball rolling.
> 
> Linda has also created a list of the OGC standards that are "not yet friendly enough". The intent is to share this with the OGC Architecture Board (OAB) to help drive discussion about evolution of OGC standards. Linda will share an initial draft with the OAB during the Stuttgart OGC TC meeting to see if the list, plus rationale for each item on the list, is being provided in a way that is helpful for OAB's discussion. Feedback on the list and associated rationale is requested via [Issue #1057](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1057 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1057>). Thank you to Clemens, Scott and Peter for your comments. More feedback requested please!
> 
> [Spatial data on the Web Best Practices](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/1 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/1>)
> ===================================================================
> Focus in the Best Practice space is the implementation reports. Michael promises to progress things once he's returned from holiday and has had a chance to merge all the commits into the gh-pages branch so that the rest of us know what to review. 
> 
> [Statistical data on the Web](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/2 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/2>)
> =========================================================
> Bill published some updates on the stats-bp/dwbp-for-stats.md - adding information about statistics usage / requirements etc. for each of the general Data on the Web Best Practices. This builds on the original work from Andrea Perego.
> 
> [WebVMT](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/8 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/8>)
> ===========================================
> Linda has organised a slot for WebVMT in the Defence and Intelligence DWG during the upcoming OGC TC meeting.
> 
> Rob is seeking ideas for OGC testbed development - see [Issue 1063](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1063 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1063>). However, note that we're waiting on feedback from Scott regarding the best way to proceed with WebVMT in the OGC community.
> 
> Rob is also seeking suggestions on topics for his proposed breakout session at TPAC - see [Issue 1064](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1064 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1064>)
> 
> [MapML](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/10 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/10>)
> ===========================================
> Discussion continues both in SDW IG and DXWG regarding CRS negotiation. Lars G Svennson [suggests](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0001.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0001.html>) that CRS negotiation is a special case of profile negotiation. There is also a discussion about use of HTTP headers to enable such negotiation, but Peter [notes](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0002.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0002.html>) that use of HTTP headers are a challenge for MapML as currently specified.
> 
> No progress has been made on the following Projects:
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 
> 
> * [Linked Building Data](https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/94 <https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/94>)
> * [SSN Extensions](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/7 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/7>)
> * [SSN Primer](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/4 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/4>)
> * [CityJSON](https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/114 <https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/114>)
> * [Time ontology amendments](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/5 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/5>)
> 
> Please look at the Projects themselves, or the [status update](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0010.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdwig/2018Aug/0010.html>) to see where help is required.
> 
> Finally, we still have no contact regarding [Describing moving objects](https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/6 <https://github.com/w3c/sdw/projects/6>). Linda and Jeremy propose that we _retire_ this activity. Things only happen in SDW IG if there are people willing to do the work. 
> 
> Linda and Jeremy
> SDW IG co-chairs
Received on Friday, 10 August 2018 17:15:49 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 10 August 2018 17:15:49 UTC