Re: Measurement properties for Actuators ?

I am not an expert in Actuation either, but I would favour Option 2 and introduce ssn:hasActuationProperty, but not introduce any further classes for Actuation Capabilities and leave all the MeasurementCapability classes as is. More detailed classes for Actuation could then be introduced in a future extension of SSN.

From: Maxime Lefrançois <maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr>
Date: Tuesday, 28 March 2017 at 3:28 am
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Measurement properties for Actuators ?

Dear all,

With respect to item 4 in the SSN agenda tomorrow:

SSN defines Measurement properties:

a ssn:Sensor can be linked to a ssn:MeasurementCapability through property ssn:hasMeasurementCapability,
a ssn:MeasurementCapability can be linked:
 - to zero or more ssn:Property to which it applies through property ssn:forProperty ;
 - to zero or more ssn:Condition in which this capability is true using ssn:inCondition ;
 - to zero or more ssn:MeasurementProperty through property ssn:hasMeasurementProperty .

Then the hierarchy of measurement properties is:

ssn:MeasurementProperty
|- ssn:MeasurementRange
|- ssn:Accuracy
|- ssn:DetectionLimit
|- ssn:Drift
|- ssn:Frequency
|- ssn:Latency
|- ssn:Precision
|- ssn:Resolution
|- ssn:ResponseTime
|- ssn:Selectivity
|- ssn:Sensitivity

I'm not an expert in sensors and actuators, but I guess some of these properties can also apply to actuators. As a first guess, I would say Accuracy, ActuationLimit, Drift, Frequency, Latency, Precision, Resolution, ResponseTime.

Question: What should we do ? This is some of the options I can propose:

 Option 1: do nothing
  pro:

 Option 2: make so that these properties can also be applied for actuators.
if so, we need:
  - to change the documentation for all of the MeasurementProperties so that they can be applied to actuators as well.
  - to change the name MeasurementProperty?
  - to change the name MeasurementCapability?
  - to deprecate oldssn:MeasurementProperty, deprecate ssn:hasMeasurementProperty?
  - to deprecate oldssn:MeasurementProperty, keep ssn:hasMeasurementProperty, introduce ssn:hasActuationProperty?

 Option 3: deprecate all this part of the old SSN ontology, and potentially re-introduce them in a future version of the SSN ontology?

Wiki page https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/index.php?title=Measurement_and_Operating_properties_for_actuators lists these options and discusses the pros and cons of each.

Best,
Maxime