Re: hasResult / Sampling in SOSA

From: Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@ucsb.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 13:03:24 -0800
To: Simon.Cox@csiro.au, danh.lephuoc@tu-berlin.de, public-sdw-wg@w3.org
On 02/08/2017 03:55 PM, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:
> Should the rangeIncludes of sosa:hasResult also mention sosa:Sample?
>
> A SamplingActivity, using a SamplingDevice to implement a SamplingProcedure, would usually generate or transform a Sample ...
>
> This might also need a tweak to the definition of sosa:Result - i.e.
> Either sosa:Result would not always apply to a SamplingActivity
> Else there is some complicated partial intersection of sosa:Result and sosa:Sample
>
> We don't want to take all this too far in SOSA, since most details of Sampling will be formalized in another vertical extension/axiomatic-refinement to SOSA (parallel with SSN), but in the context of SOSA we may need to allow for all clearly anticipated options.
>
> Simon

Like this: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/kjano-patch-1/ssn/rdf/sosa.ttl ?

[Note: Fixes the issue that Sample wasn't included in the
(schema.org-like) domains and ranges for the result relations. See
email:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017Feb/0266.html .
SamplingActivity and so forth remain to be discussed, see:
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Sampling]

The reason why I am not creating a pull request for the change is due to
the fact that the first half is trivial, while the second (changing the
definition) requires the introduction of SamplingActivity (which we have
not yet voted on).

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

4830 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/