Re: Re: Group endorses SOSA being taken up by schema.org

On 16 June 2017 at 13:43, Svensson, Lars <L.Svensson@dnb.de> wrote:

> On Friday, June 16, 2017 1:50 PM, Dan Brickley [mailto:danbri@google.com]
> wrote:
>
> > On the Google side regarding dataset discovery and
> > https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/datasets we're
> currently
> > consuming basic DCAT (if expressed in json-ld, rdfa, or microdata) as
> alongside
> > Schema.org dataset descriptions in any of those. My sense is that much
> of the
> > vocabulary needed to improve the state of things is already around
> (CSVW, Data Cube,
> > DC, DCAT, Schema.org, SKOS, SOSA, QUDT, etc.), but there's a need to
> figure out
> > ways of combining them. So the likes of https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/
> may prove
> > useful for capturing such patterns (as well as simple examples /
> documentation of
> > course). There is also btw some potential via JSON-LD context files to
> hide some multi-
> > namespace complexity via indirection, since the @context can map a
> seemingly flat set
> > of terms into several different "behind the scenes" namespaces.
>
> Sounds like a use case for profiles to me...

Yes, same ideas, and some common history eg see
http://dcpapers.dublincore.org/pubs/article/download/866/862 and
https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/images/0/00/SimpleApplication-SpecificConstraintsforRDFModels.pdf
although I suspect the JSON-LD @context angle has been under-explored so
far. JSON-LD is a little less appealing for IoT scenarios than for dataset
discovery because it makes (graph-extraction) parsing dependent on the
contents of a remote file, and IoT often needs to operate offline and
without leaking signals to the outside world. But that's a discussion for
elsewhere.

cheers,

Dan