Re: ACTION-251: (ISSUE-88) write up how an ssn:platform and a sosa:platform are essentially the same, with an example (Spatial Data on the Web Working Group)

Hi Josh,

yes, exactly.  Due to the order of imports in our draft and the design
goals of the lightweight SOSA, we have two possible approaches that we
can take and have to decide by case: (i) if a SOSA class and an SSN
class point to the same (in the OWL equivalentClass sense) concept then
we can either simply use the SOSA class in SSN as SSN imports SOSA or we
have an equivalentClass between both (this is why OWL has an
equivalentClass predicate); or (ii) we can decide that the SSN class
adds additional axioms (and this will typically be the case) and thus
define the SSN class to be a subclass of the SOSA class. Btw, this is
not all that new but done by ontologies over and over again and also the
technical foundation of ontology alignment.

Best,
Jano

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu