Re: ACTION-251: (ISSUE-88) write up how an ssn:platform and a sosa:platform are essentially the same, with an example (Spatial Data on the Web Working Group)

Hi Raphaël,

> I may agree with this argument if i) sosa:Platform was an
> "established" and used concept *and* if ii) ssn:Platform didn't exist
> already but we have nearly the exact opposite situation here! I would
> rather suggest to stop re-inventing the wheel.

I see the point you are making, note however that we are not reinventing
the wheel. SSN will be in a new namespace, will have new axioms (more
specifically half of them will be gone), and also new/changed textual
definitions. This is why we often talk about the 'old' SSN and the 'new'
SSN. About a year ago we agreed to have a replacement for the old SSO
within the old SSN by introducing a lightweight schema.org-style
ontology that is now called SOSA. Being the lightweight part, we agreed
that SSN would built up on SOSA by adding a stronger axiomatization as
well as classes that are in SSN but not SOSA, e.g., Deployment the
survival range of sensors, and so forth. Therefore the new SSN imports
SOSA and adds more details on top of it. We expect that there will be
substantially more SOSA users than SSN users which is analogous to the
situation with schema.org. Therefore SOSA only focuses on a small subset
of classes. Consequently, SOSA classes are (in almost all cases) either
broader than SSN classes, i.e., SSN classes are subclasses of SOSA
classes, or both are the same. See also the groups public working draft
for details.

Best,
Krzysztof

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu