Re: ACTION-251: (ISSUE-88) write up how an ssn:platform and a sosa:platform are essentially the same, with an example (Spatial Data on the Web Working Group)

From: Joshua Lieberman <jlieberman@tumblingwalls.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:03:50 -0500
Cc: Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@ucsb.edu>, Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>, Rob Atkinson <rob@metalinkage.com.au>, Raúl García Castro <rgarcia@fi.upm.es>, "public-sdw-wg@w3.org" <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>, "Cox, Simon (CESRE, Kensington)" <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>, Armin Haller <armin.haller@anu.edu.au>
To: Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
If I understand correctly, the effect of introducing additional axioms in SSN is to make ssn:some_class members a subset, and therefore the class a subclass of sosa:some_class. So the subclass relationship should express clearly the relationship between the two concepts. If it is true that no additional axiomatization is being applied in ssn, then reusing the sosa:some_class in ssn also makes sense, but that will be rare I should think.

It certainly has not been clear up until now, though, what the best rdf/owl engineering practice should be to realize this sort of modularization, so clear, well documented examples and explanations would really help establish the options.

—Josh