Fwd: Re: WG discussion: proposal to remove BP2 - Provide context required to interpret data values

Caught in the trap...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: WG discussion: proposal to remove BP2 - Provide context
required to interpret data values
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 14:17:35 +0000
From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
To: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
CC: Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com>, SDW WG Public List
<public-sdw-wg@w3.org>

> On 27 Feb 2017, at 12:21, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:
>
> I know that Dave Raggett (in cc) has been looking at the issue of UoM for WoT. The QUDT vocab is too heavy weight for his needs. He may have something else to add to this.

Semantic interoperability for the Web of things makes it necessary to
address units of measure.  The Web of things Interest Group has created
a task force to work on linked data and semantic processing. An
investigation into units of measure is one of the topics the task force
is expected to work on, and I expect this to involve reaching out and
coordinating with a broad range of groups.

Some things to discuss include:

  -  a means to identify both the units of measure and the scale factor
using a single RDF node
  -  a means to derive the units of measure and scale factor as separate
RDF nodes
  -  a means to relate the units of measure to the physical quantity it
refers to (e.g. electrical current)
  -  agreements on short and long names for use in JSON based thing
descriptions (mA vs milliamperes)
  -  agreements on how units of measure can be grouped into meaningful
modules

The Web of Things Interest Group is keen to welcome new members to help
with this work. If you’re interested, please get in touch with me.

W3C lead for the Web of things