Re: SDW plenary agenda item - Namespace for SOSA and SSN ontology

From: Armin Haller <armin.haller@anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 21:07:48 +0000
To: Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, "janowicz@ucsb.edu" <janowicz@ucsb.edu>, Maxime Lefrançois <maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr>, "public-sdw-wg@w3.org" <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Previously some people introduced the word “reuse” for what you describe as “hijacking”.

Reusing/Hijacking (e.g. SSN reusing/hijacking the Platform term that is introduced in the SOSA *without* an equivalence relation) implies for either solution, one or two namespaces that you will get to either the SOSA or the SSN RDF/OWL definition of a term, but you cannot decide/don’t know which one unless you explicitly use the ontology URI.

On 23/2/17, 7:45 am, "Raphaël Troncy" <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:

    >> When adding new axioms to sosa: terms, does it do so in the sosa
    >> namespace, i.e. "hijacking" the sosa definition? Or does it clone the
    >> term in the ssn namespace with the same intended semantics but just
    >> more axioms?
    >
    > This "hijacking"  is a concern that I also mentioned several times and
    > that I am really worried about.

    To make things clear, I put "hijacking" between quotes and I didn't want
    to convey any negative meaning. I believe that this is ok to hijack the
    definition of a term as soon as this is done by the same group of people.

       Raphaël

    --
    Raphaël Troncy
    EURECOM, Campus SophiaTech