RE: Proposed solution to Issue-108 - Naming issues with observedBy

Yes –

Did not intend to trigger that discussion prematurely, merely point out that external alignments that are already planned might take care of it. So we could put aside the issue of generalization for now.

From: Armin Haller [mailto:armin.haller@anu.edu.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 11:14
To: Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>; maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr; janowicz@ucsb.edu; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposed solution to Issue-108 - Naming issues with observedBy

There are some good proposals here in this thread for generalising the madeObservation property to be useful for Actuation and Sampling too. I would argue that these proposals are part of other Issues, i.e. ISSUE-91<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/91> - Actuation and ISSUE-92<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/92>, though.

I would really want to close issue 108 first (one of the few I have raised myself), as it pertains only to a naming problem within SSN and SOSA with our inverseOf naming scheme.

Personally, I tend to agree with Krzysztof to have two specific relations in SOSA at least for the Actuation and Observation case. For me they appear to be quite different, also in the modelling in SSN (e.g. in regards to Inputs and Outputs). However, whatever modelling we choose, if or if not we have specific properties in SOSA (and SSN), they can all be subproperties of a more general one or even a subproperty of prov:wasAssociatedWith, defined in the richer SSN.