Re: State of SSN: arguments in favour of a single name and namespace, proposal, the SEAS example, proposal of action

> In the absence of any import statements in the instance data, if a
> dataset only uses SOSA, you know it *can* be interpreted without SSN
> axioms. If a dataset does use SSN terms, without declaring the import,
> that's a hint that the publisher is using the richer semantics.

+1. And there are other reasons as well, namely the branding for
instance.  We anticipate a large user base for SOSA (substantially
larger than (full) SSN). We want SOSA to be a recognizable product and
end users will assume that they can refer to it by its own namespace,
look up the namespace at prefix.cc., and so on (see also Josh's argument).

Lets follow the KISS principle and do what the vast majority of end
users would expect. The more we add, the more we have to explain, the
more has to be maintained, the more can be misunderstood, and so on.
Finally, we would also all need to fully understand the other proposal,
discuss it, compare it with current practice, anticipate whether this
will be the mainstream approach in the future (as we hope SOSA/SSN will
be around for many years to come), and so on.

Let's not experiment. We already agreed on two URLs and two files, let's
go with two clear namespaces as well and move to the pressing problems
we need to sort out before we run out of time. These discussions really
distract us. There is *no* damage in using two namespaces but there is
clear damage from having an incomplete product by the end of the month.

Best,
Jano

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu