Re: OWL-Time ready to go - except for styling issues?

Thanks Francois.

As you note, we were very conservative and marked everything new as 'at risk'. On one hand this is an obvious call since none of the new things have two implementations (yet - working on that today in fact at Geoscience Australia). I was also under the impression that this was in fact your recommendation.

However, as you note, if all the things that are marked 'at risk' were ripped out of the rec, it would be a much slimmer document, and the Principles and Overview section would need to be re-written and the diagrams re-drawn. So perhaps I went too far.

Backing right off, new elements that were included quite late and have been less tested are

:hasXSDDuration

which was added in response to a comment received in wide review

:MonthOfYear
:monthOfYear

which were included in response to a request from the QB4ST group, and

:hasTime

was a response to a frequently mentioned need for 'generic predicates, but has not been exercised much

All the rest of the new stuff follows logically from the main requirement - to generalize the treatment of temporal reference systems. And even if the corpus of evidence of external use is small, it is not zero. Furthermore, a solid argument can be made that dropping any would compromise the integrity of the parts for which we do have evidence of use.

I will wind back the FAR labelling to just these elements. OK?

Simon

Simon J D Cox
Research Scientist
Land and Water
CSIRO
E simon.cox@csiro.au T +61 3 9545 2365 M +61 403 302 672
   Physical: Reception Central, Bayview Avenue, Clayton, Vic 3168
   Deliveries: Gate 3, Normanby Road, Clayton, Vic 3168
   Postal: Private Bag 10, Clayton South, Vic 3169
people.csiro.au/C/S/Simon-Cox
orcid.org/0000-0002-3884-3420
researchgate.net/profile/Simon_Cox3

> OK - fixed those nits. Now just waiting for Francois' comment on how I
> marked the Features At Risk.

Hmm, you seem to have marked all features introduced in this version of the spec and that were not in the old 2006 version as being at risk. This strikes me as strange. Here, we're talking about 50% of the classes and roughly 25% of the properties. That seems a lot. It means you would be ready to publish a Proposed Recommendation that would be vastly different from the current draft in that most of its normative content could be removed. Don't we have a clearer understanding of the new classes and properties that people are effectively starting to use?

Features at risk are usually advanced features in a specification which, when dropped, do not affect the whole spec. The Time Ontology without "TemporalDuration" and/or "TemporalPosition" seems a completely different spec to me. Note I do not know whether the Director would feel the same, it may be ok. It's just that I was rather only expecting a couple of properties to be flagged as at risk, at most.

Francois