Re: Voting on a name for ssn this week in plenary

Yes, the decision was two ontologies, two URI’s, two namespaces. No unravelling there. In our last plenary we discussed a long-standing issue raised by Kerry (https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/84 and https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/102) what the core should be named. In the ensuing discussion, we had a vote that preferred the two ontologies to use the same stem, with a decision on the stem to be postponed until this week’s plenary.

From the discussions on the mailing list, some people who have been absent from that meeting have raised concerns about that proposal and prefer to leave everything as it is, i.e. call the core SOSA and the vertical extension SSN.

    The decision, I believe, was to completely separate the two ontologies. Proposing to link the names has been a later modification.