Re: Voting on a name for ssn this week in plenary

Dear all,

I have to admit that I am a frustrated and worried about the entire
naming discussion.

To give you a brief history, when I proposed the current modularization,
I suggested the name SSN-core [1]. This name was later changed because
of arguments that SSN-core introduced new classes (such as Actuator) and
thus cannot use the SSN name (at this time, we were told that nothing in
SSN can be changed). Therefore, we changed the name to  SANDA and then
to SOSA-core. Some time later, we were asked  to drop the 'core' part as
it was not clear what it was a core of. So we changed to SOSA and this
is the name we are using for the lightweight ontology for about one year
now. SSN remained SSN for the entire time.

The name SOSA has been used in more than 600 emails, many, many wiki
entries, github issues, w3c actions and issues, many presentation,
figures, and so forth. For instance, trying to get implementation
evidence, I talked to many people introducing the ideas behind and need
for SOSA.

I would suggest, as strongly as I possibly can, not to change the names
2 weeks before our draft is due and a few months before the end of the
group's work. Let us use SSN as the name and prefix for SSN and SOSA as
the name and prefix for SOSA. Everything else will cause a lot of work
and confusion and will make it very difficult for others to track our
work and the decisions we took over the last 18 months.

The name SOSA is important because it offers 'truth in labeling',
something that SSN lacks (not only for the new work but also the initial
ontology which does not really cover networks nor 'semantic' sensors).
SOSA stands for the main parts of the lightweight ontology, namely
Sensor, Observation, Sample, and Actuator. This is not only
accurate,easy to remember, and intuitive, it also makes clear that this
is a redefined version of the old SSO pattern within SSN, namely a
lightweight vocabulary 'for the masses' . The fact that (new) SSN
imports SOSA does not cause any trouble. SSN always had a core that did
not share the its name. The original core was called SSO (
Stimulus-Sensor-Observation) and has received a lot of attention in its
own rights. There was never a problem or complaint about SSN being based
on SSO and SSO being able to stand on its own. It is entirely unclear to
me why this should suddenly be a problem for SOSA and new-SSN. A fresh
name for a new lightweight module would also lead to new attention and
excitement (also by communities that rejected using SSN).

Please note that every name and label has its pros and cons and there
will always be some language, community, acronym, or internet meme that
one would hope to avoid. This is already the case for 'SSN'. Finally,
please also note that we have introduced very substantial changes to the
SSN.

The SOSA/SSN subgroup is in its last weeks and has tons of work to do
and implementation evidence to collect. IMHO, the absolutely last thing
we need is having to change all ontologies, documentations, figures, and
all the outreach we have already done for a questionable name change.

Let us please stay with the names we used for a year now: SOSA for the
lightweight vocabulary and SSN for the ontology that imports and greatly
extends this vocabulary.

Thanks,
best,
Krzysztof.