Re: Content negotiation of spatial linked data

Hi, Andreas.

On 23/09/2016 01:03, Andreas Harth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/22/16 22:32, Maxime Lefrançois wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> my two cents:
>>

>>> Particular serializations of both the feature and geometry data can
>>> be
>> negotiated either way, I
>>> think. If one request a feature with contentType
>>> application/rdf+xml; geomdata=“WKTLiteral”, then the geometry if
>>> requested / returned
>> should include an
>>> asWKT.
>>
>> While I agree that this would be very handy indeed, I don't think
>> http allows that kind of syntax in the Accept-header, at least not
>> for all media types and certainly not for application/rdf+xml
>>

>> using
>>
>> Accept: application/rdf+xml;geomdata="WKTLiteral"
>>
>> Would be perfectly ok as per RFC 2045 and updated by RFC 2184. But
>> parameter geomdata is neither defined as a required, nor as an
>> optional parameter in media type application/rdf+xml.
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/rdf+xml
>>
>> What could be possible on the other hand, would be to define a new
>> media type such as application/geomdata+rdf+xml for instance (not
>> sure if the use of two '+' would be allowed, I can ask. and to
>> register it following https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/0430-mime
>
> a straightforward alternative is to give the geometry a URI and do
> plain content negotiation.  Problem solved.

I'm also in favour of this approach, although I recognise we should
provide guidance even for use cases where geometries are embedded in RDF
graphs.

> I do not understand why people would bend over backwards to put
> possibly very large GML/WKT/KML data (or other "binary" content) in
> RDF literals.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas.
>
> PS. FWIW, it would be useful to have a IANA-registered content type
> for WKT and GML [1].  KML and GeoJSON have one.

+1. Makes perfect sense to me.

-Andrea

--
Andrea Perego, Ph.D.
Scientific / Technical Project Officer

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/

----
The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may
not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official
position of the European Commission.