Re: The real size of Africa

On 15 September 2016 at 21:06, Krzysztof Janowicz <janowicz@ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Something like this <https://cesiumjs.org/Cesium/Apps/HelloWorld.html> is
> what should hang on the wall in school classes.
>

> Hmm, I guess I have to disagree. The problem with such a 'globe' view
> (compared to flat map projections) is that you cannot see all of Earth at
> once and this is often an important task.

I see the point. Although the globe can be rotated, you can't see all land
at once. So yes, there are reasons for having all land in one view. Perhaps
both methods can somehow coexist. The globe view should at least get more
prominence, I think. Next to distorted geometry there are other things that
flat world maps just don't show, for example how big the pacific ocean
really is, how close Russia and the USA are to each other, how aircraft and
ships move from one place to the other...

Regards,
Frans