Re: QB4ST example

Yes - its a draft and is incomplete and needs checking - I was first trying
to get the ideas across to see it made sense - lets iterate to clean it up.

Am totally fine to kill off bad ideas too - am not happy about x,y,z - we
could have a generic spatial axis - remember these are dimensions - and
regular grids are a special case.  Points are a Measure.

We'll need something for named grid cells like DGGS and What3words.

The start, end etc will need to be attributes of some class of
qb:ComponentSpecifications - where dimensions and measures are bound to a
DSD. We need to define these, they are more general than regular grids,
ergo they should be in QB4ST

qb4st:crs a rdfs:Property;
    # meta:rangeIncludes qb4st:SpatialProperty,
qb4st:SpatialComponentSpecification;
    rdfs:range so:CRS;
    rdfs:label "CRS binding for a component specification or a property"@en;
    rdfs:comment "Allows declaration of a CRS for any spatial propert -- do
we want to leave domain open? Leaves it to a general spatial ontology to
handle if CRS is a canonical URI set , or dereferences to anything
specific)"@en
    .

Hopefully with a small number of iterations this can be settled. Hopefully
the strategy and scope at least can be discussed at TPAC next week.

Rob

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 at 19:55 Dmitry Brizhinev <dmitry.brizhinev@anu.edu.au>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> simply this:
>>>
>>> In RDF datacube there is a thing called a qb:DataStructureDefinition -
>>> which "will be reusable across other data sets with the same structure." [1]
>>>
>>> I has qb:components - which may reference the dimension property:
>>>
>>> eg:dsd-le a qb:DataStructureDefinition;
>>>     # The dimensions
>>>     qb:component [ qb:dimension eg:refArea;         qb:order 1 ];
>>>

>>> so in your data you have property called eg:refArea.
>>>
>>> QB4ST simply defines some such dimension Properties, and some attributes
>>> to parameterise them:
>>>
>>> eg:dsd-le a qb:DataStructureDefinition;
>>>     # The dimensions
>>>     qb:component [ qb:dimension qb4st:Xdim; qb4st:crs ogc:4326 ];
>>>

>>> The idea is that QB4ST is simply a set of definitions for the most
>>> common spatio-temportal dimensions and measures, and defines a set of
>>> properties needed to parameterise them in use.
>>>
>>> (I may have made a horrible mess of the OWL - but the intent is quite
>>> simple)
>>>
>>> One implication is that a domain-specific approach such as the ANU-LED
>>> example [2] , which current locally defines such components:
>>>
>>> :positionComponent a owl:NamedIndividual , qb:ComponentSpecification ;
>>> qb:dimension led:location .
>>>
>>> :latitudeComponent a owl:NamedIndividual , qb:ComponentSpecification ;
>>> qb:dimension led:lat .
>>>
>>> :longitudeComponent a owl:NamedIndividual , qb:ComponentSpecification ;
>>> qb:dimension led:long .
>>>
>>> would reuse QB4ST definitions - thus creating some degree of
>>> interoperability with other data, which otherwise would have no way of
>>> interpreting led:lat as a spatial dimension. (Re-use could be direct or by
>>> a rdfs:subPropertyOf)
>>>
>>> (This is feedback on the RDF QB for data work - it needs to be
>>> modularised so that common things can be common - QB4ST is intended to
>>> start that process. The ontology ANU-LED [3] includes generic stuff about
>>> dimensions as well as domain-specific things about how images may be
>>> encoded.  I think this should break down into at least two components -
>>> QB4ST and a coverages-specific ontology (QB4Grid?), with things like
>>> :containsSquare a owl:ObjectProperty ;
>>> rdfs:subPropertyOf ogc:sfContains ;
>>> rdfs:domain :GridSquare ;
>>> rdfs:range :GridSquare .
>>> QB4ST is the common set of semantics for spatio-temporal dimensions and
>>> measures that applies to any collection (arguably these are all coverages -
>>> but they can be coverages of areas, and the areas may even overlap
>>> spatially - so I think we should just think of spatial datasets, and the
>>> QB4Grids  would be a coverages-specific
>>>
>>> The other plan is for QB4ST to be maintained not as a single ontology
>>> file but as a register, so that as each OGC or W3C specification that comes
>>> along that has an explicit or implicit definition of such a dimension or
>>> measure it can be added. But lets worry about that when we have the

>>> https://github.com/ANU-Linked-Earth-Data/ontology/blob/master/ANU-LED-example.owl
>>> [3]