Re: Clarification required: BP6 "use HTTP URIs for spatial things"

A few things - this is a rich discussion and we have identified several
parts (which is probably why the original issue was hard to pin down)

I'm glad we have coaxed one elephant out - the sameAs semantics issue.  For
me this is the litmus test whether a URL can be used as a URI for a thing
or not.

(and this is where one of the issues about SIRF Jeremy raised comes in -
but I dont think we need to worry about specific approach, rather the
criteria for whether a URI is a good one for identification purposes.  I
think we simply make a strong statement that you dont use a URL as a URI if
it is not stable and it does not make sense to use owl:sameAs.
This pretty much rules out any direct URL to a single representation:

consider two resources with URIs R1 and R2

R1 ns:dateEdited 12/1/2001

R2 ns:dateEdited 6/6/2006

R1 owl:sameAs R2  then leads to ambiguity regarding the value of the
functional property ns:dateEdited

however

U1 --303--> R1
U2 --303--> R2

can (and should be) represented as
U1 ns:hasRepresentation R1
U2 ns:hasRepresentation R2

U1 owl:sameAS U2
entails
U1 ns:hasRepresentation R1, R2

which doesnt make any stupid statements about the properties. It also
allows us to make useful metadata statements about R1, R2 as required.

Whilst this is a general concern, we see issues of identification
stability, multiple representations, non-unique naming being significant to
spatial data and I think we can and should therefore extend the general
DWBP with an example using spatial representations and provide a more
concrete best practice.