Re: How to proceed with work on the spatial ontology task?

On 24/05/2016 11:57, Frans Knibbe wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I am glad you see a way forward that is approaching a satisfactory level
> of elegance. But I wonder if the approach you suggest leaves room for
> broader use of the geometry concept, particularly:
>
>  1. Allow geometry descriptors to be used for datasets of geometry
>     collections (e.g. express that all geometries in a dataset are 3D
>     points and have CRS X).
>  2. Allow geometry to use a non-earth CRS (e.g. Mars, a building, a
>     microscope slide, a piece of paper).
>  3. Allow geometry to exist without a spatial thing (e.g. a drawing I
>     make in Inkscape which does not represent any real world spatial thing).
>
> I also wonder if this improves options for compatibility with basic geo
> and neogeo.
>
> And I would like to note that I expanded the wiki page
> <https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Further_development_of_GeoSPARQL>
> a bit:
>
>   * I wrote that it makes sense to start with semantic foundations for
>     the concept of geometry
>   * I wrote that although not all relevant ISO standards are freely
>     available, the schemas that they define can be viewed at
>     http://www.isotc211.org/hmmg/HTML. It could be helpful that everyone
>     is able to look up GM_Object from ISO-19117, for instance.
>   * I added the current definition of geometry in GeoSPARQL
>     <https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Further_development_of_GeoSPARQL#Definition_of_geometry> (it
>     looks expandable enough)

Thanks, Frans.

I've also added to the same section the definitions of spatial object
and feature, since they are correlated - geometry and feature are
subclasses of spatial object, and they are mutually disjoint.

I think it is good to have the full "picture", also considering our
discussions on real-world / spatial thing, spatial object, feature.

Andrea