Re: Units of Measure (BP, Coverages, SSN,Time?)

Hi Rob,

I just wanted to throw in a slightly different/complementary view on this.

While it is useful to have URIs for any kind of unit, I think it is even
more useful to have a symbolic coding in a certain coding scheme for
those units, because then clients with support for that scheme can
easily parse the unit, and transform it and the associated numbers. One
scheme example is UCUM (http://unitsofmeasure.org/ucum.html). OGC gave
it a URI as well: http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/

In my opinion you would have something like that (JSON-LD):

{
   "@context": {
     "rdf": "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#",
     "qudt": "http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#",
     "skos": "http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#"
   },
   "rdf:value": 27.5, // for example purposes only
   "qudt:unit": {
     "@id": "qudt:DegreeCelsius",
     "skos:prefLabel": { "en": "Degree Celsius" },
     "qudt:symbol": {
       "@type": "http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/",
       "@value": "Cel"
     }
   }
}

So the main point is that the value of "qudt:symbol" has a custom data
type, in this case http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/.

Cheers
Maik