Re: Agenda for Best Practice sub-group, 14:00UTC 1-June-2016

I still struggle with the concept of operations on a feature independent of
its spatial properties (geo or topo).  in the ISO model there is a
distinction between an operation and an attribute - and I cant help feeling
this is what we need here.

I have tried to unpack this from a pragmatic implementers perspective,
where the implementer is being gently introduced to the increased
expressivity that semantic models offer, in the context of terms they are
familiar with (from Web or Spatial rather than Semantic background). That's
a perspective I can best relate to :-). When I do I see there are few steps
to join the threads - and its just complex enough that we can feel we are
on the same page but keep struggling to join the dots in just a couple of
steps.

So - its a spatial feature if it support one or more spatial operations. If
it has one or more spatial properties (geo or topo) then it supports one or
more operations.  If we had a shallow hierarchy (+1) of operations with an
abstract root element that covered both spatial and topo relations, then
cant we just declare its a spatial feature if one of its properties
supports some subclass of that root relation?

This seems a lot more intuitive to me than trying to get the lay person to
understand the difference between a feature and a geometry, and a feature
implemented using a geometry data model in practice. Is a geometry a data
type, and when implemented as an instance of that with an identifier thats
just an implementation detail peculiar to platforms that support re-use of
data values?

If you want to declare that two features share the same geometry element -
one way would be to declare that the two feature instances are owl:sameAs -
and hence share properties (if they are just two features with different
spatial representations of the same thing this is true. If they are
different features, then a relationship between the two features that
specifies that one feature defines the geometry of the related feature as a
result may be more meaningful that the two "just happening to have the same
geometry"  The final case I can imagine is if we generalise the coordinates
so much that we can assume that two features with different geometry
concepts share the same coordinate set instances - then we should not say
they are the same geometry (as they may have different metadata about how
they came to be generalised) - but share the same coordinate data - again I
think thats an implementation compactness detail - not a model.

So - concrete proposal:

declare a spatialProperty, whose range is a geom or topo type - lets say
SpatialModel - including geom, topo relationships, geom relationships,
linear refs
define subproperties of spatialProperty for concepts in common use
(centroid, bounding box, displaypoint etc) and allow these to be extended
define equivalence between canonical spatialProperty sub-types and terms in
other vocabularies (in an ancillary module)
declare a spatialOperation property whose range is an element of a shallow
hierarchy of spatial and topo operations (with lay-person understable
labels)
declare what spatialOperations each geom or topo type supports
define a SpatialRelationship as a subclass of SpatialModel that allows
metadata about a spatial relationship to be attached - i.e. is it asserted,
inferred, calculated etc
declare that a Thing with one or more spatialProperties is a SpatialThing
give SpatialThing a label "Feature" ( using skos:altLabel ?)
give SpatialThing a rdfs:description referencing the ISO Feature model and
that SpatialThing is intended to implement it and why its not called Feature
declare that SpatialThing has equivalentClasses to feature definitions in
other vocabs (but not in the core module)
if required use entailment from the set of spatialProperty values of a
feature to define the set of spatialOperation properties a Feature has
if required use entailment from the set of spatialProperty values of a
feature to define the set of spatialProperties of type SpatialRelationship
properties a Feature has

thus - if the spatialOperation is not present it doesnt imply anything
(open world) - but the model allows a client to find out exactly what it
does support (client does the entailment using the ontology)

spatialOperation can also be used in semantic descriptions of services that
perform such operations.

This meets a set of requirements that we seem skirt around but do not
define:
1) Formally define relationship to Feature terminology without forcing it
on casual users who find machine readable artefacts in the wild - i.e.
developers looking at data
2) Have a simplifying generalisation for different types of spatial
property, instead of having to repeat a treatment for geometries across all
of a potentially hard to enumerate set of spatial concepts.
3) bind the behaviour (affordances) of a feature to its spatialProperties
4) allow multiple representations of a feature to co-exist (if you push
details of a single geometry into the feature as properties, then what
happens if you have more than one geometry - you need to have maps of
property values to geometry properties, or a way of defining which one get
priority, and metadata about which one was used etc etc)
5) support asserted, inferred and calculated relationships
6) provide a baseline terminology of the most common spatial concepts
7) provide an extensible means to map to other vocabularies without
importing them and inheriting axioms we dont want to.
8) provide a simple model that deals with the reality of multiple
simpiflied features implemented as "decorated geometries" as well as
complex objects with extensive metadata
9) allow for open world and non-unique naming behaviours in a way that
allows multiple resources to be provided and combined  to support different
operations on a feature

I know this is expressed in an ugly half-way house between spatial and
semantics language and could be better formalised in either - but its an
attempt to draw the threads together.  I dont think this is actually too
complex for the lay person - who would see this through the prism of a few
use cases:
1) i have a thing with some spatial properties - find out the canonical
names of those property types and match them to the functionality my
environment supports
2) i want to express a spatial property of my thing - what terms are used
and which is the canonical form. (i will then decide it to use the
canonical form or a specific domain vocab secure in the knowledge it can be
mapped to an interoperable canonical form)
3) i have a set of things i care about - where is a service that can
implement a function I need

Rob