Re: SSN/SOSA/O&M: is an observation an event, activity, or information object?

Simon- thank you for clearly stating the challenge.

Binding things back to PROV-O seems sensible; especially as it helps
clarify the disjoint definitions of Observation in OM and SSN. Referring to
the "must read" resource [1] that Simon identified ...

"""
PROV-O provides just three base classes: Entity, Activity and Agent.
om:Observation is sub-classed from prov:Activity, while ssn:Observation is
sub-classed from prov:Entity.
"""

For me, it seems natural to treat Observation as an Activity ... it's
something that's done at a particular time using a specified process. It
produces a some data (the result) ... the data, an information resource, is
an Entity. SSN seems unnecessarily complex in splitting the problem into
SensorOutput, Observation and ActivityOfSensing; OM does this in two
classes: Result and Observation.

At first glance the hierarchy Simon proposed in SOSA [2] seems sensible -
with top-level Classes of Procedure, Device and Activity. I'm lacking the
time to do a thorough road test of the complete hierarchy though. However,
I note that in OM the fact that OM_Process could describe anything from a
list of repeatable instructions (a recipe or sorts) through to an instance
of a sensor with a specific calibration has always been somewhat confusing.
It's good to see these concerns teased out into Procedure and Device,
recognising that a Procedure will often _use_ a Device.

HTH, Jeremy

[1]: https://goo.gl/TKlX1l
[2]:
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/index.php?title=SOSA_Ontology&oldid=2342#Procedures_vs_Devices