Re: [linking-data] What do the links mean?

(non-exhaustive) summaries of previous discussion on this subject:

----

link semantics is a complex topic ...

To make use of links, you need to understand what those relationships _mean_

What are the common vocabularies that should be used to describe links?

Are the link types particular to a given domain? Is it possible to specify
general purpose definitions? Can domain-specific vocabularies be mapped to
common vocabularies (& if so, how)?

>From the WG email discussion on hypermedia [1]:

* SimonCox: “Linked data relies first on (i) stable, resolvable URIs, (ii)
open formats, and (iii) hyperlinks, so let's make sure that message gets
across first and is not buried in premature focus on semantics”
* RobAtkinson: "I think a ''star'' that matters is missing - which is to
make the meaning of hyperlinks explicit and discoverable - this is far more
useful than putting the data into RDF per se, but one could argue thats the
underlying intent of using RDF, in that such links have URIs for link
predicates - and there is an implication regarding what those URIs should
resolve to."
* Kerry: "In linked data, the meaning of links is always explicit and
discoverable […]. What we *can* do in this group is to advise on using
linking  vocabulary that is well-defined and, if we cannot find such
vocabulary already,  to create and define whatever is missing in the
spatial space"
* [... a few detailed posts ...]
* SimonCox: "[…] I’m finding it still necessary to establish the more basic
principles (fine-grained well-managed URIs, hypertext). Mention of RDF and
semantic web technologies too esoteric for most web developers, who only
know JSON"

So when considering "link semantics" we need to square concerns such as:
* helping people choose the right link-type ... owl:sameAs is much
over-used and usually wrong, and when is OK just to use SKOS?
* how to relate our link-types to ''upper ontologies'' - or should we even
try?
* how we can use ontologies ''behind the scenes'' to make sure we don't get
an infinite number of incompatible JSON encodings for the same data

@dret's Principles of web data [2] (using a slightly different 5-star
rating than the one we're used to [3]) suggest that "web data" should be:
* (1-star) Linkable
* (4-star) Linked

Issues arising from this are include:
:… use unique, global, _durable_ identifiers
:… need to be able to discover resources so that you can link to them
:… how to assert and maintain links between large sets of resources?
(people are lazy)
:… how are links expressed? (in a doc, in a link header)
:… how are links characterised? (e.g. typing)
:… how are hints about the target resource conveyed?
:… links should be typed (implicitly or explicitly) so that client
applications can decide which links to follow when traversing a web of
interlinked resources to reach application goals

[1]:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-comments/2015Jul/0002.html
[2]: http://dret.github.io/webdata/
[3]: http://5stardata.info/en/