Re: Joining the GeoJSON discussion

It is good news in a way that GeoJSON may eventually be able to be referenced as an IETF standard, and it shouldn’t be too hard respect its degree of adoption while still leveraging it as something to extend as needed. It is presently the case that GeoJSON with anything additional can still be valid GeoJSON. SDW-WG involvement could focus on assuring that the sort of extensibility required for our purposes (e.g. in the BP doc) is preserved.

I’d second Simon’s observation, though, that even with some new faces, those behind GeoJSON are primarily interested in a stand-alone specification, even if it derives “spiritually” from much existing work. OGC may therefore head in the direction of JSON encodings that includes a profile “looking like GeoJSON” but embedded normatively in ISO-GML formalisms.

Josh