Re: things and features

Hi,

> Hope things are going well in Sapporo and sorry not to be able to join
> you.

Same here. I was also trying to follow the IRC protocol and would like
to comment on the owl:sameAs issue. I agree with ahaller2's statement
that we should not ignore what is and has been best practice for Linked
Data over the years. There are clearly some issues with the broad and
often misleading use of owl:sameAs but it is still the only relation we
have that has a formal semantics. It also states that two URIs point to
the same thing which is a very useful and powerful statement as it
establishes identity. There is a lot of new work that proposes a nested
solution by introducing weaker statements as well. Typically, these
solutions combine owl:sameAs with SKOS (e.g., skos:closeMatch) and
rdfs:seeAlso. Predicates such as samePlaceAs have been proposed in the
literature but their semantics remained unclear and this is why we do
not see them in the wild.

Best,
Krzysztof

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu