Re: Does 'Feature' = 'Real World Thing'?

> I think you're saying Feature = Real World Thing ... and Feature Description = Information object that describes Real World Thing. Makes sense to me.

This is not how ISO/OGC use the term "feature", or "feature instance" to be more specific (and "feature description" is not a term I have seen used in ISO/OGC standards).

In the "light house" and "vertical obstruction" example you have two different features - in two datasets and of different feature types, but they describe the same real-world thing. Yet, these are still separate features.

The language is not always clear and "feature" is sometimes also used for the real-world thing and not the information object. I think the reason is that the distinction is blurred in the General Feature Model of ISO/OGC. There will be properties that describe the real-world thing (e.g. height, year of construction, etc.) and those should be consistent between the "light house" and the "vertical obstruction" features. At the same time there will be properties that describe the information object (e.g. provenance information) and these will differ between the datasets. In the General Feature Model these properties are all associated with the feature. So, sometimes when we talk about the feature, we talk about the information object ("last updated today") and sometimes about the real-world thing ("it is 34ft high"). But first of all, the feature is an information object describing a real-world thing.

When representing it in RDF, it may be more natural to distinguish the two subjects. I have some doubts that this would help to make spatial data easier to use for the broader web community, but that will be an interesting point to discuss and learn from existing practice.

Clemens