Re: Issue 27: correction of the description of the Coverage in Linked Data deliverable

Hi Jon,

On 2015-10-14 12:23, Jon Blower wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Is an irregular polygonal mesh a “grid”? How about a trajectory (e.g. ship
> track)? I would not say so, but others might use terminology differently.

sorry if I made this impression - no, an irregular mesh still is a mesh. I was
talking about irregular grids where, in Testbed 11, we spotted several cases. An
irregular grid is characterized by individual (geometric) distances between the
grid points while the underlying topology still remains a grid, ie: every grid
point has its well defined neighbours.

> Anyway, I’m not trying to pick nits for the sake of it, I’m trying to point
> out that the coverage world is quite broad. We probably need to work out which
> bits of this world are most relevant to this group, as I don’t think we know yet.

Indeed, and I am very willing to describe "coverage world" in detail so that the
group can determine which subset is of relevance.

> Personally I don’t think we should be equating coverages with datacubes (of
> the RDF variety or otherwise) - the reality is more complicated than this.

absolutely so. Datacubes (whether mapped to relations like in ROLAP or to RDF
etc) are one particular direction, and point clouds, meshes, etc are completely
different stuff.

> I think the definition of a coverage is quite simple - it’s a function that
> maps points in space and time to data values. (The ISO19123 definition is a
> bit longer I think but not fundamentally different.)
>
> Grids are one way of enabling this mapping, but there are many other ways too.

an excellent summary indeed!

-Peter