Van: Frans Knibbe [mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl]
Verzonden: vrijdag 2 oktober 2015 16:49
Aan: Peter Baumann
CC: Jon Blower; Simon.Cox@csiro.au; Jeremy Tandy; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Onderwerp: Re: [linking-data] What should I link to? (or link between)

Hi Jon,

actually, identification and access are just two sides of the same coin. The request uniquely identifies the resource and sub-resource desired.

You can see a GetCoverage request as one node utilizing sort of a (standardized) microsyntax if you will, or it can be broken down into several RDF elements - that's still independent.

BTW, this does not preclude identifiers for subsets. But if an identifier really is not supposed to carry any semantics inside then we're done: it is just an ID. However, this doesn't say how to _get_ the actual subset identified, ie: there is no way of resolution. If you want that, you are going to have semantics in the URI, and we are back with an RDF submodel or microsyntax.

Can't a HTTP(S) URI be regarded as both an identifier and a key? Because it is HTTP, one could try interaction using HTTP methods. To get the subset, the GET method can be used. The response that can be expected is data describing the subset, which could include various options for downloading the data.

In other words, we could assume that identifiers (HTTP URIs) can be resolved to arrive at semantics.

Regards,
Frans

cheers,
Peter