W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > October 2015

[Minutes] 2015-09-30

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:33:50 +0100
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <56126E2E.2050304@w3.org>
A little later than usual for this weekly mail. The minutes of last 
Wednesday's call are at http://www.w3.org/2015/09/30-sdw-minutes

And copied below for your convenience.


           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

30 Sep 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20150930

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/09/30-sdw-irc

Attendees

    Present
           jtandy, Alejandro_Llaves, kerry, joshlieberman, phila,
           Chunming_Hu, Maik_Reichert, Jitao_Yang, billroberts,
           jonblower, Scott_Simmons, ahaller2, Payam, eparsons,
           AndreaPerego

    Regrets
           matt perry, linda, Bart van Leeuwen, Rachel Heaven,
           Simon Cox, Andreas Harth, Clemens Portele

    Chair
           kerry

    Scribe
           Alejandro_Llaves

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]approve minutes
          2. [6]Progress on identifiers in Data on the Web Best
             Practices WG
             http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#DataIdentifiers
          3. [7]Report on CEO-LD meeting
             http://www.w3.org/2015/ceo-ld/wiki/London_Kick_Off_mee
             ting
          4. [8]Review outstanding issues and actions (NB: please
             all catch up!)
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      * [10]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    <kerry> trackbot, start meeting

    <trackbot> Meeting: Spatial Data on the Web Working Group
    Teleconference

    <trackbot> Date: 30 September 2015

    <phila> Chair: Kerry

    <phila> NB. Two members of the CEO-LD project are observing the
    call today - Maik Riechert from the University of Reading
    (colleague of Jon Blower) and Chunming Hu (W3C)

    <phila> scribe: Alejandro_Llaves

    <kerry> scribe+ allejandro

    <kerry> scribenick: alejandro

    <kerry> scribe+ alejandro

approve minutes

    <jtandy> +1 (also from phila )

    <kerry> [11]http://www.w3.org/2015/09/23-sdw-minutes.html

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2015/09/23-sdw-minutes.html

    <kerry> +1

    <joshlieberman> +1

    <Alejandro_Llaves> +1

    <billroberts> +1

    RESOLUTION: approve minutes

    <kerry> [12]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

      [12] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

Progress on identifiers in Data on the Web Best Practices WG
[13]http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#DataIdentifiers

      [13] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#DataIdentifiers

    <Alejandro_Llaves> Phil: Where are looking at the editors draft

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... last week there was a meeting in Sao
    Paulo

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... It is difficult to set the scope of a BP
    document

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... The group agreed on what URIs are

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... The document includes various
    assumptions about how a URI is defined. Always subject to
    change

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Rather than reinventing the wheel, we
    used some relevant documents from the Web, with examples.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Phil thinks this can be useful for the
    group.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> joshlieberman: One thing I would like to see
    is a clear distinction between an identifier and a locator,
    because the needs are not the same in both cases.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Question to Phil about granularity

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: If I have a dataset about things, I
    want URIs to identify the dataset.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... I don't think there is much distinction
    between an identifier and a locator.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> joshlieberman: An identifier doesn't need to
    have the locator structure. Often, a locator needs a certain
    navigation pattern, that an identifier does not need.

    <joshlieberman> +1 Identifiers can and should be recognizable
    even if locators should be treated as opaque for navigation.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> eparsons: URIs can be plain identifiers, but
    there is an added value in designing good well-structured URIs

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: Agree!

    <kerry> +1 to jon's comment

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jonblower: We need to separate the idea of
    human readibility from client readibility.

    <joshlieberman> Could those not speaking please mute. Thanks!

    <billroberts>
    [14]http://ukgovld.github.io/ukgovldwg/recommendations/uri-patt
    erns.html

      [14] 
http://ukgovld.github.io/ukgovldwg/recommendations/uri-patterns.html

    <Alejandro_Llaves> billroberts: In Data on the Web draft there
    was an update about URI patterns

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... I don't know what is the status of the
    document, but it worths a read.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: I did not link to that document in
    the draft because it seems it is not finished, from the github
    repo.

Report on CEO-LD meeting
[15]http://www.w3.org/2015/ceo-ld/wiki/London_Kick_Off_meeting

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2015/ceo-ld/wiki/London_Kick_Off_meeting

    <jtandy> (I'm happy that the DWBP identifier practices apply to
    SDW)

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: We met yesterday and this morning.

    <phila>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/2015/ceo-ld/wiki/London_Kick_Off_meeting

      [16] https://www.w3.org/2015/ceo-ld/wiki/London_Kick_Off_meeting

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... The meeting went well.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... The goal of this group is to foster
    collaboration between UK and China.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> We talked about similar things that Jeremy
    was pointing in his email (?)

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: We talked about satellite image, i.e.
    coverage.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... We talked about how to describe
    coverage, which does not mean this is not solved.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Another topic was Identifiers: how you
    refer to the different levels of granularity related to access.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... We discussed about formats, e.g. CSV on
    the Web, DataCube... How webby are they?

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... The geotemporal dimension of the
    different formats we looked at seems to be 2D

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Some issues were identified, that will
    be solved in the near future. Some of the people attending will
    be in Sapporo.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> Sorry, I don't know who is talking...

    <Alejandro_Llaves> thanks

    <Alejandro_Llaves> MaikRiechert: GeoDCAT could be a good
    testbed for our project MELODIES

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: There are some issues important to
    coverage data that need to be discussed first in the SDW group
    first

    <Alejandro_Llaves> eparsons: Is the output of the CEO-LD group
    publish-able as part of the SDW BP document?

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: The CEO-LD can offer advise, but the
    SDW group should decide what to publish.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Citizen science and gamification could
    be the way of advance in the CEO-LD group

Review outstanding issues and actions (NB: please all catch up!)

    <kerry> [17]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/

    <phila> action-79?

    <trackbot> action-79 -- Jeremy Tandy to Create thread for each
    linking theme -- due 2015-09-30 -- CLOSED

    <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/79

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/79

    <phila> action-78?

    <trackbot> action-78 -- Jon Blower to Provide text around value
    add of following the bps -- due 2015-09-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/78

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/78

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jonblower: I need to catch on my action

    <phila> action-75?

    <trackbot> action-75 -- Joshua Lieberman to Ask tesbed email
    list to proide pointers to content we should knpow -- due
    2015-09-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/75

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/75

    <Alejandro_Llaves> joshlieberman: I need to catch on my action

    <phila> action-72?

    <trackbot> action-72 -- Ed Parsons to Create appropriate wiki
    page -- due 2015-09-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/72

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/72

    <phila> close action-72

    <trackbot> Closed action-72.

    <phila> close action-71

    <trackbot> Closed action-71.

    <phila> close action-63

    <trackbot> Closed action-63.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: I could not meet her yet, but
    hopefully this happens soon. - Related to Phil's action. (which
    one?)

    <phila> action-60?

    <trackbot> action-60 -- Kerry Taylor to Follow up with svg --
    due 2015-08-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/60

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/60

    <kerry> Reminder Sapporo meeting starts 26 October:
    [23]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings#Sapporo

      [23] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings#Sapporo

    <Alejandro_Llaves> kerry: The accommodation arrangements should
    be done ASAP. We will discuss the agenda on the next meeting.

    <kerry> The 7 discussion threads of best practice linking:
    [24]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2015Sep/0
    044.html

      [24] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2015Sep/0044.html

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: Thanks to the contributors!

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: As editors, we need the group
    feedback and comments.

    <phila> crickets...

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Are there any questions or
    clarifications that we can discuss now?

    <Alejandro_Llaves> <tumbleweed>

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: Don't be shy about replying to the
    different email threads I sent around, because this will be the
    basic input for the document.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Only 3 weeks away to TPAC, so please put
    your content in.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... Topics being discussed:

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... - One identifier to several spatial
    objects

    <Alejandro_Llaves> ... - There has been also some discussion on
    the linking aspect of spatial data.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> kerry: When do you want the comments by?

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: Max. by mid October

    <Alejandro_Llaves> kerry: In Sapporo we could look at the
    relation between the present content and the Requirements
    document.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: Agree!

    <Alejandro_Llaves> Yes, I will!

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: Task - Map reqs to the BP themes.

    <Alejandro_Llaves> kerry: Also, take into account open issues
    on the track.

    <kerry> actions: alejandro to map use cases to bp themes

    <Alejandro_Llaves> Ok, no prob!

    <kerry> ACTION: kerry to map use cases to bp themes [recorded
    in [25]http://www.w3.org/2015/09/30-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2015/09/30-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-81 - Map use cases to bp themes [on
    Kerry Taylor - due 2015-10-07].

    <Zakim> phila, you wanted to talk about themes

    <Alejandro_Llaves> phila: This idea of "themes" arose during a
    meeting last week, e.g. discoverability, etc. Each best
    practice in our document will have one or more icons describing
    what the theme is about.

    <kerry> +1

    <Alejandro_Llaves> jtandy: Good idea

    <Alejandro_Llaves> kerry: Closing the meeting...

    <eparsons> Bye !

    <Alejandro_Llaves> thanks, bye!

    <chunming> thank you all. bye

    <Payam> thanks, bye

    <kerry> bye!

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: kerry to map use cases to bp themes [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2015/09/30-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2015/09/30-sdw-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [27]approve minutes

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Monday, 5 October 2015 12:33:56 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 2 September 2016 12:03:08 UTC