RE: Working list of BP requirements identified during the SDW WG f2f

From: <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 00:22:32 +0000
To: <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>, <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
BTW -
I notice that you use rdfs:isDefinedBy to link from members to the ontology as a whole.
While I recognise that this is a common usage, it is not universal. I've raised the issue on different mailing lists from time to time, and the usual response is that this is not a universally adopted convention, so I have now stopped using it in that way.
Nevertheless, the absence of a standard predicate to associate 'members' of an ontology with the ontology as a whole does seem to be a missing piece of the puzzle (perhaps a gap in the conceptualization of owl:Ontology) but I don't think hijacking rdfs:isDefinedBy for this purpose is the answer.

In the case we are discussing - which concerns traceability of individual resources to their original definitions in a different formalization - perhaps dct:isVersionOf, or prov:alternateOf or prov:wasDerivedFrom provide more specific semantics.