Updates to the Use Case consolidation work

From: Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:02:02 +0000
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>, Kerry Taylor <kerry.lea.taylor@gmail.com>, Payam Barnaghi <p.barnaghi@surrey.ac.uk>, "Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398J)" <Lewis.J.Mcgibbney@jpl.nasa.gov>
All-

A quick progress update before I disappear on vacation.

All of the use cases have been reviewed. Brief notes can be found here [1].
As I progressed through in sequential order, I discovered less "new" stuff
- so there's inevitably less written for some of the later use cases.

I have made a first pass at what I think the common themes are [2]. These
are:
- linking data
- publishing data with clear semantics
- expressing datasets through APIs
- enabling discovery
- assignment of identifiers (to real world things and information resources)
- expressing (geo)spatial and temporal information
- sensor data

There are some "left-over" bits that haven't found a home yet ("other
stuff").

For each of the common themes, I have listed the sub-issues that have
arisen from consideration of the use cases. It's my first pass ...
commentary and input welcome.

Next steps (that can be progressed by WG members whilst I am on holiday :)
) are:
1) cross-reference these common themes with those in the Data on the Web
Best Practice [3] to determine overlap (if any) - we want to avoid
duplication
2) make sure we are consistent with the Architecture of the web (Volume
One) [4]
3) map our requirements [5] to these common themes to see if (a) we are
missing any requirements, or (b) we have requirements that aren't covered
in the common themes.

Please don't be shy :-)

Best Regards, Jeremy

PS: regrets for next week's call.