W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > August 2015

[minutes] 2015-08-19

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 16:07:43 +0100
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <55D49BBF.5030406@w3.org>
With only 4 of us, we were not quorate today but we had an informal chat.

Minutes are at http://www.w3.org/2015/08/19-sdw-minutes with a text 
snapshot below.

     Spatial Data on the Web Working Group (informal) Teleconference

19 Aug 2015


       [2] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20150819

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/08/19-sdw-irc


           jtandy, Frans, Linda, phila, Jeremy

           Ed_Parsons, Kerry_Taylor, Simon_Cox, Josh_Lieberman,
           Payam, Andreas, Lars, Bill




      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Cross referecning homework
          2. [6]how to communicate with the Data on the Web WG
      * [7]Summary of Action Items

    As only 4 memebrs were present, an informal meeting was held.

    <trackbot> Date: 19 August 2015

    <Frans> I wonder if more people will show up

    <scribe> scribe: phila

    Frans: Main topic is the homework that people have been done
    ... It's not clear who is doing what homework. There were some
    action items but not for everyone

    <Linda> There's some minor construction work going on in our
    office so it could be noisy in my background.

    General agreement that we are not quorate so we'll have an
    informal chat

Cross referecning homework

    Frans: I saw 2 action items

    <Frans> [8]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/61

       [8] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/61


    <trackbot> action-61 -- Phil Archer to cross-reference
    "identifiers" issue with DoW and WA -- due 2015-08-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [9]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/61

       [9] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/61


      [10] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Consolidated_Narratives

    ives Narratives Page

      [11] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Consolidated_Narratives

    jtandy: There are 7 narratives on that page
    ... and an 8th that I haven't worked out what to do with yet.
    Was there any discussion about the other stuff

    phila: Is pretty sure that no, the 'other stuff, hasn't been

    jtandy: We can come back to the other stuff anotehr time. There
    are things there that we should cover. Like how to we handle
    large aounts of data that don't fit into an RDF-centric view of
    the world

    Frans: We did discuss the narratives in general... one idea was
    to have the amateur vs expert perspective
    ... The big datasets might fit into the expert aspects of a
    data publisher

    jtandy: And there's stuff that talks about lineage and
    provenance (the data linking bit). How to do linking when it's
    5TB of LIDAR data

    Frans: You could probably group a lot under such a narrative, a
    researcher wanting to publish data in a meaningful way
    ... It also seems realted to the diff between publishing a web
    page with some microdata and publishing an entire dataset
    through a service endpoint

    jtandy: Any highlights about the discussions about the 7
    narratives as laid out?

    Frans: I don't think were discussed in depth. The main topics
    have been finding volunteers to do the cross referencing work
    ... And before that we discussed the nature of the narratives
    but that was before they took form.

    jtandy: I think I have a quick run through 3 weeks ago.

    <Frans> jtendy: current format of narratives looks a lot like
    the format of the Data on the Web BP

    jtandy: Is DWBO meeting at TPAC?

how to communicate with the Data on the Web WG

    phila: No.

    jtandy: There are things that we want to say that may be
    applicable beyond spatial data, but we'll say it in the context
    of spatial data. DWBP might want to broaden it
    ... and we'd help them do that, but we should keep delivery

    phila: Dependencies either way are bad

    <Frans> phila: I think I am the only member of both groups

    Discussion about DWBp relationship. Agreement that liaison
    doesn't mean dependencies.

    If DWBP has a BP that is useful/applicable, SDW can cite it,
    modulo any changes that SDW might ask for

    Problem only arises if the two BP docs present best practices
    that are not in alignment/contradictory

    which is unlikely

    <scribe> ACTION: Archer to invite Hadley Beeman to a meeting
    with the SDW WG at TPAC [recorded in

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2015/08/19-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-68 - Invite hadley beeman to a
    meeting with the sdw wg at tpac [on Phil Archer - due

    Discussion of wiki page to be established to record areas where
    SDW thinks a Bp should/could/might like to cover an issue

    Frans: The prob with the DWBP is that the scope is so broad

    phila: Yes

    Frans: So we should protect our scope
    ... I think it would be useful to list things that we think are
    important but that re out of scope for our WG

    jtandy: That's a meta question for how to cross reference.
    ... I wonder whetehr we should go through the homework as best
    we can
    ... In terms of cross referencing, Kerry has put some stuff in
    about linking data, Ed has done the same about APIs, Linda has
    put in some stuff about enablign discovery
    ... Nothing on identifiers, spaitiotemporal
    ... Linda, could you talk us through what you discovered for
    enabling discovery

    Linda: Mainly what I found was that the DWBP doc there was a
    big section about metadata
    ... the point of providing it, largely for discovery, so
    there's an overlap there
    ... so we should take a good look at thats section. And then
    maybe extend it with spatial aspects
    ... Anotehr thing they mentioned was that discovery depends
    fundamentally on the use of HTTP URIs - which is right

    jtandy: Both of those sound like sensible observations.
    Extending existing BPs, and use of HTTP URIs which Phil is
    looking at
    ... I see there wasn't any coverage of Architecture of the
    ... That's been around a long time and it's remarkably relevant
    today. So we need to be consistent with it if we're talking
    about spatial data on the Web.
    ... We are consistent with it

    Linda: Yes, just more specific

    jtandy: Are there other citable resources that we should be ...

    Linda: I'd have to think about it.

    phila: Maybe some OGC stuff?

    Linda: Some OGC, INSPIRE??

    jtandy: There's the DCAT-Geo-AP
    ... that's expressing ISO19115 plus DCAT etc.
    ... Things like DCAT-GeoAP should be consistent with what we're

    Frans: That looks like a BO to me already

    jtandy: That's more than a BP
    ... It says if you're going to use 19115 attributes, then do it
    like this - that's more detailed than we want?

    Frans: People are looking for that kind of guidance. It's a
    mapping from OGC to W3C mapping, it's what publishers are
    looking for
    ... I;m not saying that it is a BP, but it's a good candidate
    ... that might be identified in the deliverable

    <Frans> Linda: missing discovery of data vs. discovery of data
    sets in DotWWG

    phila: Bangs on about longevity, give examples, maybe on
    example - comply or explain maybe

    <Frans> phila: yes, that is an issue and the DotWWG should
    tackle it

    Linda: Does it talk about data on the Web cf. datasets on the

    jtandy: Thank you for doing your homework. I was very pelased
    to see stuff happening even though i hadn't push it

    <Frans> jtandy: pleased to see stuff happening

    phila: (Kerry was pretty forceful last week)

    jtandy: We could look through what Ed and Kerry wrote or do it

    Frans: I think it makes more sense if more people are present
    ... esp Ed and Kerry as they wrote their contribution

    jtandy: Ed has put in BP23, 26 and 22
    ... so he's been though it and put some brief notes in
    ... Regarding next week, I'll be on vacation again

    phila: Me too

    Frans: I am being forceful too - do your homework

    <Linda> Me too - on vacation next week I mean

    jtandy: 61 is identifiers - Phil
    ... 62 is same thing with Armin
    ... 63 is clear semantics, assigned to Bill, prob done before
    next week's meeting
    ... 64 is discovery that Linda has done

    close action-64

    <trackbot> Closed action-64.

    jtandy: 65 is spatial and temporal info, that's Chris

    Frans: I think he volunteered for temporal

    Linda: Yes, but Kerry twisted his arm

    jtandy: Chris is on holiday this week.
    ... Those issues are so specific they won't be covered anywhere
    ... 66 is data exposed via APIs which is on Ed - because no one
    else took it
    ... 67 is linking data which is Kerry

    Frans: Sensor data is still missing

    jtandy: I know Payam and Kerry are involved in the SSN stuff
    ... Maybe we can ping Payam... but he's on holiday too

    Frans: He's a co-editor of the BP doc

    jtandy: We are making progress. Given that we want to have an
    FPWD by middle of October, time is of the essence
    ... I hope we'll have a structure, with the themes we'll be
    covering, maybe on of them drawn out

    phila: Suggests a frozen copy by Friday 16th, but not formal
    publication until after TPAC

    <Linda> +1

    General agreement to this

    <jtandy> +1

    jtandy: I'd ask the chairs to promote that so people know what
    to expect

    <jtandy> bye

    <jtandy> will type ...



    <jtandy> bye

    trackbot, end meeeting

    <trackbot> Sorry, phila, I don't understand 'trackbot, end
    meeeting'. Please refer to
    <[14]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc

    trackbot end meeeting

    <trackbot> Sorry, phila, I don't understand 'trackbot end
    meeeting'. Please refer to
    <[15]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc

    trackbot end meeting

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Archer to invite Hadley Beeman to a meeting with
    the SDW WG at TPAC [recorded in

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2015/08/19-sdw-minutes.html#action01

    [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 19 August 2015 15:07:51 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:31:17 UTC