Re: Geographic metadata in Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices

hello neil.

On 2016-03-07 10:02, Neil McNaughton wrote:
> /Another comment – there is no mention of the semantic web. Has this to
> all intents and purposes been replaced by “Linked Data?” Is this just a
> buzzword swap or has something more substantial happened? I ask because
> the ‘payload’ of the /Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices document
> appears to be relations mapped in “OWL, SKOS, RDFS” which to the casual
> observer sounds like the semantic web.//

yes, "linked data" is a rebranding of "semantic web", plus a few
additional constraints (most importantly: "use dereferencable HTTP URIs
for everything").

fyi, there have been discussions on whether SDW should be RDF-centric or
not. some (including myself) have argued that "the web" is much wider
than the "semantic web", and that the draft in its current form should
either be titled "spatial data on the semantic web", or should be
changed to be agnostic of a specific metamodel and simply recommend
patterns and best practices derived from web architecture.

to this end, http://dret.github.io/webdata/ is something that could
serve as a foundation or starting point: it talks about the principles
of web architecture without mandating one specific metamodel. it's
basically "linked data minus requiring RDF".

this issue of "the current BP draft is for semweb users only" has been
raised before. it remains to be seen which path the WG and the spec are
going to take.

cheers,

dret.

--