Re: adding hypermedia to spatial data best practices

hello krzysztof.

On 2015-08-05 15:20 , Krzysztof Janowicz wrote:
> This was intensively discussed on the Linked Data list about two years
> ago (https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2013Jun/). While
> you could envision Linked Data that is not RDF-based, it is difficult to
> do so -- especially for 5-star data.

not really, no. it's just matter of definition. the definition was made
that it must be RDF, so now it must be RDF. case closed.

> I certainly agree with what you are
> saying but trying to untangle this would be a nightmare and I am not
> sure what the value proposition would be.

to me the value proposition would be to explain to people that you can
be properly webby without having to subscribe to one specific metamodel
world. many people *want* to be webby (and are looking for guidance),
and not all of them want to use RDF. that's just the reality out there.

> Clearly,  the entire Web of
> Data does not need to be (and is not) RDF-based but I do not know of any
> Linked Data that is not RDF-based.

that's a tautology. there are vast amounts of linked data (small caps,
generic term) out there. just ask the library community, for example, or
many many others that have designed and used decentralized networked
data. but if you refuse to call those Linked Data (specific term, RDF
only), then of course it doesn't exist.

just go get back to the topic: i don't think best practices should
prescribe technologies. i think best practices should promote patterns.
hypermedia (or call it REST) is *the* pattern of the web, so it would be
good to see it being promoted.

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |