RE: Global method calls

From: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 06:55:34 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
(es-discuss to bcc)

I see the attraction of having [Global] do all the work for us, for all the logistical reasons you mention. But I still really don't like the action-at-a-distance on EventTarget.

Maybe this is a happy medium?

- [Global]/[PrimaryGlobal] => operations from the interface or its consequential interfaces get [ImplicitThis] behavior.
- EventTarget, and anything else people want to put on the global prototype chains, get either [ImplicitThis] or something like [AllowedInGlobalPrototypeChain] that has the same effect.

We could even disallow globals from inheriting from things without [ImplicitThis] / [AllowedInGlobalPrototypeChain].